Aldi On Special

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Heads up, Aldi have stockpot and two ring electric benchtop stove on special from next Wednesday.

Stockpot

Stove

Those stockpots are awesome, if you are going to get only one 10L stockpot in your life, get this one - they are every bit as good as the piccy and good for kitchen use as well. Good thick base.

Also the stove is really handy for all sorts of tasks and saves you walking into the kitchen and back for boiling small quantities of wort, doing cereal mashes etc. I bought a Kambrook one for around $70 but the Aldi one looks the goods, have never had a problem with their electrical gear.

also have digital thermometer on sale at the same time.

Check out the temperature range on the hot plate stove phew it is a furnace.

My guess it's a misprint.

That is a good find Bribie - my current 10L stainless pot buckles and bends at the slightest hint of heat.

Top post Bribie, I have been searching for a good priced hotplate for a while for making starters and doing decoctions in the brewery.

Price is great, hope the Geelong area stores have them next week, have not received catalog yet.

Before I got my immersion heater, I used the stockpot and hotplate to assist the urn in bringing wort up to boiling in half the time, run 8L wort out of urn into stockpot and bring to boil then tip into urn and grab another 8L.
Ditto bringing liquor to strike temp.

Gets better and better.

How about:

Paulaner 20L fresh wort kits, Pils, Hefeweizen and Oktoberfest, $25

dreamin' dreamin' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I ended up getting one of these stoves today with the intention to boil both my flasks on. 1400mls in the 2lt flask & 600mls in the 1lt flask. Great if you intend to poach eggs but useless as shit, gutless unfortunately. I had to end up boiling the whole 2lt in a saucepan on the large element with the lid on to get anywhere near a decent boil & then divide it out to the flasks. I wouldn't be getting it if anyone's considering buying one for the same purpose I did...................... :angry:

I got one today,works ok for me.

I figured that setting it at max flat out it would at least boil. It keeps turning on & off constantly. The 1400mls in the 2lt flask does boil but it's a weak boil. The 600mls in the 1lt flask is off & has been off for 3mins now but it's not boiled yet & it's set at maximum.
It's gutless, I'm taking it back.

I figured that setting it at max flat out it would at least boil. It keeps turning on & off constantly. The 1400mls in the 2lt flask does boil but it's a weak boil. The 600mls in the 1lt flask is off & has been off for 3mins now but it's not boiled yet & it's set at maximum.
It's gutless, I'm taking it back.

How much of the element are you covering with the 'flask'?
If there is exposed element it might be overheating and tripping out. Need a wider pot that covers the entire surface of the element so the pot acts as a sink taking the heat out of the element? Just a thought.

How much of the element are you covering with the 'flask'?
If there is exposed element it might be overheating and tripping out. Need a wider pot that covers the entire surface of the element so the pot acts as a sink taking the heat out of the element? Just a thought.

The flasks don't go right out to the edge of the elements so it's probably doing what you said. I bought if for boiling both the flasks on but suppose I can use saucepans instead & just pour them into the flasks. No biggie just not what I was hoping for.
I just ran it again with pots a touch larger than the elements & another run with pots about the exact size of the elements. The bloody thing heats up for about 10sec on the large element then turns off for about 25sec then turns back on again & off again. The smaller element was on for 25sec & off for 60sec, on again for another 45sec & off for nearly a minute & on again. The bastards just won't stay on even at max setting.
PIECE OF SHIT. DON'T BUY IT!

Yeah mate, this is what's happening. I can boil the whole 2lts in a saucepan with the lid on the larger element no worries, pretty good boil.
The flasks don't go right out to the edge of the elements so it's probably doing what you said. I bought if for boiling both the flasks on but suppose I can use saucepans instead & just pour them into the flasks. No biggie just not what I was hoping for.

You might get a good boil by just setting the thermostat dial about half way. Then only the inner rings of the element would be red hot and heating the flask, while the outer rings remain less energised and run cooler (assuming its a coil element inside).
Good luck anyway.

You might get a good boil by just setting the thermostat dial about half way. Then only the inner rings of the element would be red hot and heating the flask, while the outer rings remain less energised and run cooler (assuming its a coil element inside).
Good luck anyway.

I tried a cheap double burner electric stove for a while and gave up on that... Wound up picking up a cheap, 15A commercial hot plate off eBay... Works a treat...

More power!!!

Andy

No luck with the stock pots, there were supply issues so none of the Aldi stores actually got them. No new date set yet either.

I tried a cheap double burner electric stove for a while and gave up on that... Wound up picking up a cheap, 15A commercial hot plate off eBay... Works a treat...

More power!!!

Andy

Care to share a link to this 15Amp hotplate please..

Back