• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi Meat Grinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
This week in the Aldi catalogue there is an electric meat mincer/grinder with stuffer attachments.

Anyone bought one of these previously?

I got an aldi meat grinder from quite a while back. Goes as good as the day i got it. I would buy it again. Only downside is it only comes with 1 sausage funnel so you are limited to that size.

Could buy others yeah?

Might hea down and grab one on Wednesday, even keen to get into the sausage goodness, and just plain old good mince!

What cuts of meat are you guys buying to mince up? Gravy or chuck? Mince is cheaper to buy already minced. What are the arguments supporting mincing your own?

iralosavic said:
What cuts of meat are you guys buying to mince up? Gravy or chuck? Mince is cheaper to buy already minced. What are the arguments supporting mincing your own?
I normally use chuck. I find the flavour of freshly minced meat much better for things like burgers, plus it allows me to serve a bit on the rarer side without worrying as much about food poisoning nasties.

I bought one of the crofton hand mincer's...
Broke the thing inside a week...cheap casting on the spindle broke

iralosavic said:
Quality, flavour and the ability to have different cuts minced for different purposes.

It's like going all grain, the quality, flavour and flexibility is awesome.

Why did I not notice this in Aldi this morning while I walked around after an all nighter on the promise to come home with cheap Aldi cat food. Argh!

iralosavic said:
I own cattle and feed a couple up and butcher them, this is one reason, but Yeh, unless your a meat junkie you'd just buy mince.

I use my mincer for sausages mainly, but lately I have bought whole rump and cut the steaks out of it and kept the trim for mince.

Lean mince costs about $14/kilo at the supermarket, you can get cuts to mince for nearly half that.

Edit: As mentioned above, I wouldn't buy a mincer just to make mince, unless you eat tons of the stuff.

Aldi also had bone in pork leg and shoulder for $5 this morning when I was there, I grabbed 5 of them, decent sized to, Aussie grown pork, looks the goods, will smoke the bejesus outa them.

Once you have tasted mince from home you will never buy floor droppings mince again. I use rump as we get it for about 4.99kg. Also snags are 100 better as you csn make them to suit yourself.

So who's getting one of these things today?

Im still on the fence...

It pays to queue early as specials often sell out in the first couple of hours. Like Rivers stores, either heaps or none.

I get through quite a lot of the Coles $5 a kilo mince.

For the kookaburras, spangled drongoes, cookoo shrikes, magpies, magpie larks etc. Would you believe that even the topknot pigeons eat it, obviously they don't recognise it as being meat :p

I have a mincer, and having the mincer available I can adjust the fat levels in my mince according to the sausage recipe and also use high quality cuts in my making.

Whenever I buy cheap mince from the supermarket, there are lot's of snew, silver skin and undientified stringy parts in it which fails in my sausages and dry cured salamis.

Also mincer helps me to get the emulsion right after 3 mincing for a nice mortadella.

20130223_083734.jpg

Sometimes I get bulk meat from my butcher and mince and pack 500g or 1Kg packs in the freezer as well. I believe mincer gives me the flexibility to use what ever I want.

at least you know whats in the mince if you mince it yourself, and it wont be full of fat and gristle like bought regular mince steak is.

Picked one up this morning and used it just now to mince 1.5kg of chuck+short rib for some burgers. Seems fine so far, but fairly noisy.

Much easier than the hand cranked ones though!

This is from 2009, is that still the same model?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDIAp53iDQ

Didn't buy the mincer, but did pick up the pizza cooker...... did anyone say home made pizzas??? yay....

Back