Aldi Adjuncts - Flavoured Extracts 26/6

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can find people are also adding actual bacon bits to either boil or secondary

Guessing fat would kill head retention

Has anyone got a bit of experience using essences? I picked up the maple, hazlenut, coffee and chocolate.

Want to hit a 10 litre test batch of stout with the coffee. Am thinking maybe 1 ml per litre, 10 mls all up, thoughts?

I picked up some maple, hazelnut and chocolate. Might make a smoked maple brown or amber ale this weekend.

Only after a hint of flavour so will probably use about 10 mls in a keg and scale up from there. I reckon 20 mls will be close to perfect but not keen on blowing a whole keg to start with. Can add more straight into the keg and see how it goes.

lukiferj said:
I picked up some maple, hazelnut and chocolate. Might make a smoked maple brown or amber ale this weekend.
Did you use smoked malt or peated malt ?
I'm wondering which one I should use for my smoked/bacon, maple beer.

The normal beechwood smoked malt smells very similar to bacon. Peated malt is going to smell like an islay whiskey.

I get my grain from craftbrewer and they have weyermann smoked malt so I'll go with that, cheers.
Going to use about 20% smoked.

Samuel Adams said:
I get my grain from craftbrewer and they have weyermann smoked malt so I'll go with that, cheers.
Going to use about 20% smoked.
Didn't have enough ale malt on hand so hopefully will brew next week. Have Wey smoked malt. Haven't decided how much yet but I want it to be a hint of smokiness with maple rather than drinking from an ashtray. I used under 5% in a smoked brown ale and I think it was too much. Wasn;t bad but certainly overpowering and much more than I would like in this one. WIll go a bit less this time and see how it tastes.

I have a very strong flavoured choc stout. Heaps of choc. And its about 8%.
Used 4 drops of hazelnut essence in 600ml. Gave a subtle hazelnut flavour. This stuff is strong to fight against all the choc I have in this stout so if u had a regular beer it wouldnt take.much. id do as said and err on the side of cautio . Add a little then a little more bit by bit until u hit the profile your after.

Coffee extract is slightly less potent. Might need a bit more of that than the hazelnut.

lukiferj said:
Didn't have enough ale malt on hand so hopefully will brew next week. Have Wey smoked malt. Haven't decided how much yet but I want it to be a hint of smokiness with maple rather than drinking from an ashtray. I used under 5% in a smoked brown ale and I think it was too much. Wasn;t bad but certainly overpowering and much more than I would like in this one. WIll go a bit less this time and see how it tastes.
Interesting....I based my smoked malt % based on what I read here - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59528-rogue-bacon-maple-ale/

If you thick shake guys are keen enough Glen 20 is 60% a/v :D :chug:

Samuel Adams said:
Interesting....I based my smoked malt % based on what I read here - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59528-rogue-bacon-maple-ale/
:icon_offtopic: This is the grain bill I used for a brown ale I made a few months ago. Was good but smokiness was slightly over powering for what I was after. I will be a little cautious this time and tweak the recipe for next time. I bought a few bottles different extracts :)

Grain Bill
----------------
3.977 kg Pale Malt (79.6%)
0.448 kg Crystal 60 (8.96%)
0.348 kg Chocolate (6.97%)
0.224 kg Smoked Malt (4.48%)

OK I have a Czech pilsner I brewed a few months ago on tap ATM, I just put two drops of Aldi chocolate extract into my glass and filled it. Very close example of a commercial beer I tried recently, I'm going to add it to one of the kegs that I'm yet to tap. Nice, fun sort of beer and easy azz.

Batz

Back