Aldi Adjuncts - Flavoured Extracts 26/6

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
On sale tomorrow are some flavoured extracts that might be a good adition to some brews.
Assuming they have no preservatives.

They have; Almond, Vanilla, Maple, Chocolate, Coffee & Hazelnut
$3.50 for 100ml. Should get multiple brews out of that.

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_27302.htm

Choc Stout, Hazelnut Brown & Smoked Maple beers are on my to brew list now.

Nick JD said:
They're 35% alcohol. Cheaper than the minibar!
where dows it have the alc content? They changed liquor licence so that essences couldnt have alc if theu were sold in supermarkets. Remember hoyts essences?

Loved the old Queen Vanilla essence, nearly neat alcohol "keep away from naked flames".

Tip a 100ml in a maccas big thick shake and away you went. woot.

By agreement they quadrupled the price overnight as they were being abused. They even used to do a quarter litre in a hip flask bottle - suspicious, what.

edit: still available I believe, I'll be in Aldi tomorrow and will check. I can feel a thickshake coming on.

citymorgue2 said:
where dows it have the alc content? They changed liquor licence so that essences couldnt have alc if theu were sold in supermarkets. Remember hoyts essences?
I bought an orange essence bottle at coles the other day. 35% alc. Costs almost as much as a 50ml of Jack Daniels though!

Nick JD said:
I bought an orange essence bottle at coles the other day. 35% alc. Costs almost as much as a 50ml of Jack Daniels though!
You could tip that into a Fanta and swig it. However you would end up smelling strongly like an orange utan

Only choc, hazelnut and coffee at my local aldi. Picked up all 3. No mention of alc % on them

So can someone tell me how u know its 35%?

I bought all but the coffee one. The chocolate bottle says 35%, maple 30, vanilla 45, hazelnut 0, almond 50%

Edak said:
I bought all but the coffee one. The chocolate bottle says 35%, maple 30, vanilla 45, hazelnut 0, almond 50%
lmao off. The bottle I checked was the hazelnut one!
I still recon this stuff you be so sweet youd get sick if u tried drinking it. Good additive thougg. Will def be goig to another aldi to get the other ones

If you're going to tip some into a beer do it with caution. The flavour is stronger than you might think. Try a drop or two in the bottom of a pint glass and scale it from there.
Once it's in you can't take it out.. Speaking from experience here :icon_cheers:

The vanilla costs out at about $24 for 700ml. Stick to vodka methinks. When I skulled the Queen stuff years ago SWMBO wanted to know why I smelled so strongly of ice cream . :lol:

I used a 45ml bottle of chocolate essence in 40L and agree its bloody strong. Made a great choc stout but it cant pass as anything other than choc stout.

Less is more seems to be the general consensus when adding these extracts.
I think I'll start with adding about 10ml for a 23L batch and go from there.

I'm starting with a Hazelnut Brown & a Choc Porter.

I just added about 8 drops of hazelnut to half a pint and it was on the verge of taking over flavour wise.

Trial and scaling like said would be best!

I am thinking coffee hazelnut porter

I got the hazelnut and the maple.

A maple bacon beer sounds amazing - does anyone have a recipe they've tried before?

Rogue does one not sure if there is a recipe floating around

Was thinking an amber ale with a truckload of smoked malt and the maple flavouring.

Back