• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi 8.8 Ltr Urn $40, God For Hx For Herms System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
if any one is thinking of going HERMS Aldi have a 8.8 ltr urn for $40 starting Wednesday. could be a good HX.

These are back on sale in the catalog that arrived today.

saw one for $29 left over from the first sale, didn't get it, laser eyes SWMBO.

I reckon these would be pretty good as a heat exchange for HERMS. Could anyone see any reason why you wouldn't use one? Would the switching on/off from the PID be no good for the urn's element?

2000W power
Adjustable temperature control (30-110C)
Double layer stainless steel
Transparent water gauge
High quality faucet for convenient operation

I have a Keg King 2200w element that I have been waiting to use for a heat exchange, but can't find a pot suitable. The element is about 2cm too long for most pots. The recent posts about them don't give me much confidence either.

You could possibly change the faucet so that the copper coil enters through there and then exits through the top.

maybe the 2000w element might be a downfall I am not sure. I know most kettles run at 2400w and are only 1.7lts

2000W vs 2400W would be almost insignificant in that amount of water. I was using a 1600W in my 14L pot until it died. Replaced with a 2200W and almost no noticeable difference.

I'm tempted...

Cheers!

I have a Keg King 2200w element that I have been waiting to use for a heat exchange, but can't find a pot suitable. The element is about 2cm too long for most pots.

They do fit into a 19lt BigW pot with a bit of shoehorning.

I bought one a month or so ago for heating sparge water, and they'll boil the full volume in about 10 minutes. You can replace the stock tap with a 1/4" ball valve using a 1/4" nipple, elbow and a coupe of washers super easily.

Going off the full volume mark and using the elbow as a pickup, you won't get more than 7litres out of it though, the 8.8l figure must be measured using the outside dimensions.

Been pretty happy with it so far, and will turn it into a HX at some point. Might even try a small batch BIAB.

I reckon these would be pretty good as a heat exchange for HERMS. Could anyone see any reason why you wouldn't use one? Would the switching on/off from the PID be no good for the urn's element?
That's my plan (I got one last time they were on sale) so I'd also be curious to know if the PID might not do good thing to the element or the urns internal-controls.

maybe the 2000w element might be a downfall I am not sure. I know most kettles run at 2400w and are only 1.7lts

The $8 kettle from Big W that is getting used in the HERM-IT is only 1800w, so 2000w would be great.

Fat ******* said:
I bought one a month or so ago for heating sparge water, and they'll boil the full volume in about 10 minutes. You can replace the stock tap with a 1/4" ball valve using a 1/4" nipple, elbow and a coupe of washers super easily.

Going off the full volume mark and using the elbow as a pickup, you won't get more than 7litres out of it though, the 8.8l figure must be measured using the outside dimensions.

Been pretty happy with it so far, and will turn it into a HX at some point. Might even try a small batch BIAB.
Just the info I was after, cheers FB.

Have been using the Aldi urn for ages to heat up sparge water, but got one of those rotating sparge arms a few weeks ago and needed to find the right size ball valve to connect it all up. Should have it all setup for the christmas break.

Wolfy said:
That's my plan (I got one last time they were on sale) so I'd also be curious to know if the PID might not do good thing to the element or the urns internal-controls.
Should be fine as long as the urn's controls are turned on full tilt so they're not kicking in and out. The element itself will not be damaged unless you're running dry.

Personally I'd bypass the urn's controls but I'm comfortable with wiring mains electrics, not suggesting that it's necessary though.

Florian said:
Just the info I was after, cheers FB.

Have been using the Aldi urn for ages to heat up sparge water, but got one of those rotating sparge arms a few weeks ago and needed to find the right size ball valve to connect it all up. Should have it all setup for the christmas break.

Slightly off topic where did you get the rotating sparge arm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back