Alcohol Thermometer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
ok some body help me on this one how do i fix this one as it has a couple of bubbles in the column which makes it hard to read and not 100% accurate. i found them in it after it fell off the shelf i was storing it on. cheers in advance for the help

If it's a 100C unit, try sticking it in boiling water. Hopefully as the column of alcohol rises, it will join back up together.

I've also heard of attaching the top to a piece of string, and spinning it round and round. Hopefully this can force the alcohol back down into the bulb. But make sure its nice and secure, as it could turn nasty.

Carefully put the bulb over a gas jet & watch the alcohol column rise. Start high over the jet so it's not too hot & the column doesn't shoot up too fast. As the column gets to the top take the bulb out of the flame & let it cool, all the fractions should join up. You may find it separates again later, if so just repeat the process - it seems to be related to the quality of the thermometer in my experience.

thanks guys as it is only a fish tank one that i use when fermenting in a water bath and only goes up to 50 degrees i put it under the hot water out of the tap and its all fixed now

Back