Alcohol Taste In Oktoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed an oktoberfest about 3 weeks ago now. But the fridge died on me halfway through. So the ferment started at 13 degrees, but rose to about 17 by the end of the ferment. Most of this was done at the lower temp however.

It tasted fantastic originally, but tasted a bit last night, and it was lke paint stripper. Will this go away with time conditioning? is it from the high temps? Do i have an infection? By the way i was using the whitelabs bavarian lager yeast.

Cheers, Rob

berto said:
It tasted fantastic originally, but tasted a bit last night, and it was lke paint stripper. Will this go away with time conditioning? is it from the high temps?
[post="46840"][/post]​
Berto

That solventy aroma/taste is probably the ester ethyl acetate from the high fermentation temperature. If it is, sorry, it ain't gunna improve.

Cheers
Pedro

Sad news about the brew.

Brew another one, Oktoberfests are great beers.

Another question regarding this beer. I saved some of the trub off the bottom when i racked to secondary. Will this yeast be ok for reuse? Or is it dead?

Cheers, Rob

berto said:
Will this yeast be ok for reuse? Or is it dead?
[post="48323"][/post]​

Berto

What yeast was it, as it may make a difference. Considering your last batch fermented too high, you have probably stressed the yeast a bit too much. I wouldn't risk it and would get a fresh yeast.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro said:
berto said:
Will this yeast be ok for reuse? Or is it dead?
[post="48323"][/post]​

I wouldn't risk it and would get a fresh yeast.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="48342"][/post]​

I wouldn't go near it either. Pretty much if you notice anything from the yeast in a batch of beer that shouldn't be there then don't use the yeast again, go get some fresh yeast.
One thing you learn quickly if you do 'risk' using yeast that your unsure on is don't ever take risks with your sweet wort. :huh:

Jayse

Latest posts

Back