Alcohol taste in bottled oatmeal stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I recently brewed an oatmeal stout, kegged 9 litres and bottled the rest (primed with dextrose). The keg tasted awesome and Ive finished it already after only 2 1/2 weeks. I tried some of the bottled stout after 10 days and although it was slightly undercarbed still it tasted good too.

Tried another one last night (3 weeks in the bottle) and it had a definite alcohol taste to it that wasnt there before.

Is this just alcohol produced by the yeast when eating the dextrose and priming the bottles? I assume it will eventually clean itself up if given more time?

Just to add this finished at 1.020. 3.85% abv Quite high but the yeast (Irish Ale yeast) just didnt want to play. I also mashed at 69C so it would be sweet.

Well, for what it's worth, I have a dud crate of Belgian strong dark sitting for about two years that was virtually un - drinkable from the get go due to the fusel alcohols.
​Age has not wearied them alcohols, it still tastes like fizzy date juice and vodka.

69 deg? That's going to be a mouthfull of stout. Did it actually hold that temp from start to finish cos I guess you could have done an abbreviated mash.

I use a herms so yes it held 69C for the full mash. What do you mean by abbreviated mash Dave?

Truman said:
I use a herms so yes it held 69C for the full mash. What do you mean by abbreviated mash Dave?
I'm just assuming you did a 60 min mash. I would have thought at 69 deg you would get full conversion in under half an hour, probably less.
If your not pressed for time and don't care about running you rig unnecessarily, its kind of a moot point though.

Back