Alco-pop Takes A Hit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffi

Reaction score
I read this morning that the excise on 'alco-pop' leg-openers has been raised by 70% to counter binge drinking.

I wonder if today's teens have the nous to buy a bottle of cheap vodka and a few PETs of fancy fruity soft drink.

Maybe it's the labels that really appeal to them.

Depending on which article you read gives you a different perspective...

Yes the excise on pre-mixed drinks has risen by about 70%.

No that does not make un-mixed bottles cheaper, as the excise per ml of alcohol is now the same for unmixed and pre-mixed drinks...

Basically for the last 7 years there has been a discount on the alcohol excise on pre-mixed drinks...

The old passion pop may make a big comeback

"Oh god, they'll be chundering in the streets"

Last comment heard at a party when the passion pop was brought out. Thankfully, I passed out before having to try it.

I that still made ? I thought it had been outlawed years ago. Maybe that was wishful thinking.

Nope.... PP is still alive and kicking. Its way too popular now though. They have ads for it (or so ive been told) and their labels are all glittery for the alco-pop market.

I still think that for an easy drinking cheap night out (for the non-homebrewers)... mcwilliams fruitwood

oh the nights spent with that....

Sponge

It's interesting to consider the tax on alcohol in this way:

Craft brewed IPA: 42c per std drink (at current small pack excise rate, 6.6% abv)
Mass produced 4 litre wine: 6c per std drink (WET based on $13 cask, alc % could be anything)
Boutique wine: 0c per std drink (WET exempt)

yup, it sure is still around. they have a berry flavoured one out as well now, and possibly a lime one as well iirc.

A surge in the sales of cheap bottles of vodka ? I think so!

When you pour your own they will always be stronger- I think that this may increase the problem. Less skulling of UDL's and more skullings of bottles of vodka.

Pardon my defeatist (not to mention cynical) attitude, but alcohol is always going to be consumed in levels beyond healthy limits by this age group. May as well make some money out of them. :ph34r:

At least their palates aren't mature enough to handle decent beer - we're already slugged enough in the form of taxes. Good to see this particular demographic is being targeted...

Of course in my day we didn't abuse alcohol like they do today. We drank real alcohol, Beer by the flagon (ABOUT 2.5l i think from memory) or brought a dozen 750ml bottles (gotta finish it once it is open) and of course a keg or two for a big do. Or cheap port if we were a bit broke (biggest amount of alcohol for the dollar). Boy have times changed ;0 mike

Not only is Passion Pop alive and kicking....but the good old Ben Ean ( Benzene ) has made a revival....

At least if you cant stand drinking it, your can use it as paint stripper or run your car on it.... ;)

Here's something that'll turn stomachs...

Remember 'Summer Wine'?

:icon_vomit:

Back