Airlocks in ferm fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettski

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just put my first brew into my fermentation fridge, previously I kept my primary in the closet with a S type airlock. Bringing my brew into the fridge, I've brought it down from 22 degrees to 18 and I've noticed this temperature change has caused a vacuum. This is sucking air back through the S lock.

My question is will this put my brew at risk of infection and what alternatives do you guys use over the S lock to avoid this vacuum effect?

Generally I put sanitiser in the airlock so even if it does in it makes no difference. I also hear of some people using vodka or a neutral spirit but unless you have a lot around, it's seems like an expensive measure.

With the S types there's not really much you can do as if the temperature decrease within the fermentor it's going to cause a slight suction and therefore dribble some of your airlock fluid in.

You can get 2 or 3 piece airlocks, so you can just remove the airlock "lid" briefly, allowing the fermenter to suck in a bit of air and eliminate the pressure difference. This does slightly defeat the purpose of the airlock, of course,

Just about everyone I know (and most of AHB) ditches the fermenter lid and airlock completely. Grab the rubber seal from the fermenter lid and use it as a big rubber band to secure a bit of glad wrap over the fermenter instead.

Most airlocks have a fill mark. If filled only to this level the airlock action is the same in both directions so it won't suck in fluid if there is a vacuum in the FV & it sucks in air,. this is a good reason to use sanitiser as you have a chance to kill the airborne bugs.

Should of mentioned, I use cheap vodka (the kind my out of touch Grandad gives me each birthday) in the airlock. I'm not worried about about vodka getting in, more about my dirty garage air. To be honest I don't think any vodka got in and now that the temp is stable I see co2 bubbling out already 3-4 hours after pitching the yeast!

I'm interested in this plastic wrap idea, what are the downsides of this method? Wouldn't there be a chance the co2 burst the plastic if the fermentation was overly vigorous?

I have a lid with no airlock hole and use that without the seal.

+1 to throwing out airlock and using glad wrap and rubber band.

no stress, no needing to clean it, no extra 15cm of headspace in your fridge you have to cater for. all positive

Look at all you filthy glad-wrappers chiming in! :)

I ditched the airlock years ago and just stick some heavy duty gaffer tape over the hole in the lid. Works great.

Come to the clingy side Jyo.. You know you want to.

Neat, I'll give the old happy wrap a go when I'm cold crashing. Thanks guys!

About the very worst that can happen is:

RIS explosion.jpg

I've never actually had the wrap blown off.

I've had a few brews suck in the odd drop (can happen when doing hydro samples) and while this could introduce infections, it hasn't yet. This is also the first I've heard of vodka being used, what happened to good old H20?

Airlock devotee and proud of it :beerbang:

michaeld16 said:
Damn thats a sticky clean up, even so im a +1 for the glad wrap
A vigorous ferment can make just as much mess through an airlock anyway, right?

I have only once had the glad wrap split from the pressure. I think I was using WY3638. Beer turned out fine - was probably only exposed for a few hours, inside a fridge, during the most active period of fermentation.

squirt in the turns said:
A vigorous ferment can make just as much mess through an airlock anyway, right?

I have only once had the glad wrap split from the pressure. I think I was using WY3638. Beer turned out fine - was probably only exposed for a few hours, inside a fridge, during the most active period of fermentation.
I have no idea i got rid of the airlock after about brew no3

sponge said:
Come to the clingy side Jyo.. You know you want to.
I tried the old glad wrap and lacky band a few times. It's just so thin. I never felt fully protected...

Yeah...well...Filthy glad wrappers...can your glad wrap do this when you cold crash?

Hn5JwX6l.jpg

jyo said:
I tried the old glad wrap and lacky band a few times. It's just so thin. I never felt fully protected...

Yeah...well...Filthy glad wrappers...can your glad wrap do this when you cold crash?

Hn5JwX6l.jpg
Imploding fermenter, automatically reduces head space and minimises oxidation. Excellent idea!! :D

Latest posts

Back