Airlock/Stopper question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorhead

Reaction score
A mates Dad was chucking out a fermenter, it's in great nick apart from the lid, which I think he cut himself to put an airlock in.
I've given it a good clean with napisan, should I even do some bleach?

The cut is a bit rough, but a good clean should be ok as it doesn't touch the precious beer ;D

Now, my question is in regard to the hole for the stopper. It's 30mm x 30mm. What size rubber stopper should I get to go in this size, as obviously rubber has got some give.

Also, Cheap place to mail order one in Australia, if anyone knows?

Thanks!

Most people just use gladwrap and the rubber seal that goes in the lid. Less trouble and you can look in to see how its going .

Lid not really needed as per djar007's post. However, replacement lids can be purchased or use the one you have. Absolute Homebrew sell a range of sizes of bungs -drilled and solid, lids, too. Shoot off an enquiry to Pat on their page indicating your hole size and he will advise accordingly

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll give the glad wrap a go. Any special tricks... Literally glad wrap it and seal with the O ring?
Let's ALSO hope the fermenter doesn't have any scratches I can't see ;)

If you cant find an o ring , a big enough or a few daisy chained rubber bands will do the trick to hold the cling wrap on.

it is more about creating a positive pressure than an airtight seal. It isnt airtight as such, but enough to vent a little. Its about getting the air out of the headspace to prevent infection of your beer.

So what if I wanted to brew in these, glad wrap around the hole and an eleastic band around it?

water drum.jpg

With those, simply tighten the lid then back it off a touch. If not filled right to the top, gas finds its way out. If filled to the top, gas will still exit but you may get krausen leakage too.

I ferment in cubes all the time - works a treat.

djar007 said:
Most people just use gladwrap and the rubber seal that goes in the lid. Less trouble and you can look in to see how its going .
Dunno...I wouldn't say most people use glad wrap.

I prefer to get rid of the airlock and cover the hole with duct tape.

manticle said:
With those, simply tighten the lid then back it off a touch. If not filled right to the top, gas finds its way out. If filled to the top, gas will still exit but you may get krausen leakage too.

I ferment in cubes all the time - works a treat.
I assume you would have no worries stacking them on top of each other in a chest freezer?

Apologies for hijacking you thread Motorhead

jyo said:
I wouldn't say most people use glad wrap.
Sorry to have misled the OP. Quite a few people use and recommend gladwrap. Or as a politician may say, "I have been made aware that people may or may not be using glad wrap in some way to seal their fermenting vessels".Followed by, " I am not sure of the details and cannot attest to the accuracy of these statements , but as far as I am aware, this practice is said to be taking place".

djar007 said:
Sorry to have misled the OP. Quite a few people use and recommend gladwrap. Or as a politician may say, "I have been made aware that people may or may not be using glad wrap in some way to seal their fermenting vessels".Followed by, " I am not sure of the details and cannot attest to the accuracy of these statements , but as far as I am aware, this practice is said to be taking place".
I think you may have missed your calling :lol: That is assuming you not actually a wanker...ooops, I mean politician.

I've heard that too, but that would imply that politicians aren't wankers, which is clearly incorrect.

Once again, apologies for hijacking your thread Motorhead. Happens a lot around here. :lol:

Ha! I'm glad to have contributed to some good interweb 'discussion'.

I never knew making beer could come under so much 'discussion' either ;)

lmccrone said:
I assume you would have no worries stacking them on top of each other in a chest freezer?

Apologies for hijacking you thread Motorhead
If I had a chest freezer and stacked my cubes, I could tell you.

I have a fridge that holds one cube and I rotate any surplus between that and the water bath on the shed floor. I use willow cubes so they're not the kind of thing I'd be in a hurry to stack even if I could.

So with the Glad Wrapping, do you just pop a small pin prick in it or something, i need a second fermenter one just isnt cutting it anymore.

The only drawback for me is that I bottle straight from the fermenter so the cubes are good but I dont think my little bottleing syphon thingy is going to fit on the tap - but I could be wrong,

Or should i syphon out of the cube and bottle like that?

no need to poke holes, the air will find it's own way out
the bottling wand should fit the tap you'll add to the cube

Back