Air Stone And Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been reading around about using an air stone to help oxygenate the wort before pitching and came across the air stones.
My question is, would it be possible to use a keg charger with a 16gm soda bulb hooked up through some tubing going to the air stone? Or is this even possible??

Also does anyone know where abouts in Sydney i could buy a circular 9" false bottom? Online seems to be the place to get them!

cheers,
Josh

airstone_premium.jpg

keg_charger.jpg

Hi guys,
I've been reading around about using an air stone to help oxygenate the wort before pitching and came across the air stones.
My question is, would it be possible to use a keg charger with a 16gm soda bulb hooked up through some tubing going to the air stone? Or is this even possible??

Also does anyone know where abouts in Sydney i could buy a circular 9" false bottom? Online seems to be the place to get them!

cheers,
Josh
You need oxygen to oxygenate something, not CO2

pat at absolute has them as well as some online suppliers like ross.

Get an aquarium pump to connect to the airstone, cover the inlet with cotton wool for a ghetto filter or buy a sanitary air filter.
As you said in OP, you want to OXYGENATE your wort, not CARBONATE it, so CO2 is pointless.
A canister of O2 is even better

I think the OP is asking if the setup would work with a O2 bulb. Not sure O2 bulbs exist ... N2O, yes.

EDIT: or he's asking if he could carbonate quickly with a stone and a CO2 charger. Either way, WTF is he asking? :D

shit well this is embarassing. I thought those little 16gm bulbs was oxygen but when i come to think of it i've never seen scuba divers using a keg charger with some tubing and a piss-ant sized soda bulb underwater lol. Still very new to this homebrewing hobby so i can tick that off as a lesson learnt.

Off to aquarium shop to buy a pump it seems. Are the 2 micron ones available from homebrew shops the only ones to use or will one of the cheapo ones from the aquarium shops suffice?

cheers for the input guys :D

I use a pump, stone and filter that I got from kegking, about $50 from memory. Haven't used it for the last 2 fermentations, I splashed it in from the cube and gave it a bit of a shake in the fermenter (covered) and added the yeast once the foam died down a bit.

Also, if you have the dollars to spare:
http://www.ubrew.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=856

It's out of stock at the moment, but he's getting more in.

shit well this is embarassing. I thought those little 16gm bulbs was oxygen but when i come to think of it i've never seen scuba divers using a keg charger with some tubing and a piss-ant sized soda bulb underwater lol. Still very new to this homebrewing hobby so i can tick that off as a lesson learnt.

Off to aquarium shop to buy a pump it seems. Are the 2 micron ones available from homebrew shops the only ones to use or will one of the cheapo ones from the aquarium shops suffice?

Further embarrassment, SCUBA is plain old compressed air (different gas mixes are used for deep diving), breathing pure O2 at depth will kill you.

El cheapo will work. Your wort will foam up, switch it off until foam subsides, switch on again.

thanks newtown, i just did some more youtubing plus a trip to bunnings for a DIY aerator. Seemed quicker and easier than the aquarium setup. Probably not as efficient though.

Bought a paint stirrer from bunnings to kind of mix the wort up. Doesn't do a whole lot of anything apart from make my bucket of water spin around slightly (not sure if this could be the drills fault though?). Had some spair tool clamps laying around so snapped them in half and wedged them around the rod of the paint mixer. I haven't used a pair of plyers on them yet in the pic so they look pretty dangerous but i'll fix that up.

Tried it again in my test bucket of water and it mixes like a champ. Surely that would help get some air into the wort when i use it?

Also whilst in DIY mode, figured i could use those tool clamps and another plastic thing i had laying around (bought them to clamp power cords etc together) to make a siphon holder. I'm sure there's probably a product out there that does the same thing but this cost me nothing and it 'should' do the job as you can tighten it so the siphon doesnt move.

Do you guys think my improvised paint mixer will do a good enough job?

cheers for the input,
Josh

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Further embarrassment, you wrote CO2 in the thread title. CO2 is Carbon Dioxide. Had you meant Oxygen, you should have written O2. So you thought the little bulbs contained oxygen even though you wrote carbon dioxide? :D
Just teasing.

scrap that last idea. thought of another way to aerate.

can anyone tell me if this would be beneficial at getting air into the wort? Seems to do the job with a bucket of water when testing it out

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

My 2c, you want to be driving oxygen (or air) into the wort.

Not sure a paint stirrer is going to suck much air/o2 down into the wort imo.

As per post above, SS Airstone, inline filter and aquarium pump works a treat for me.

scrap that last idea. thought of another way to aerate.

can anyone tell me if this would be beneficial at getting air into the wort? Seems to do the job with a bucket of water when testing it out

How exactly do you plan on keeping that clean and sanitised?

or will one of the cheapo ones from the aquarium shops suffice?

I used one of those air stones from the aquarium shop in fact it was the one that came with the pump.
It worked OK until I soaked it in starsan :lol: when I came back to get it out all that was left was the hose that it was attached to :lol:
so if I were you I would spend the dollars and get the s/steel one.

Cheers

Cheers Dicko, i'll invest in one of those.

Glen W despite me being a newbie to these forums and all, i've learnt about this incredibly incredible stuff called sanitiser. One would assume to soak the paint stirring device (yes it actually detaches from the drill! Amazing!) in the aforementiond steriliser solution to keep it 'clean and sterilised'. As would be the case for others who use similar drilling devices. Simple question, only wanting a simple answer, as the others responders have done.

Back