Air leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strods

Reaction score
Hi all, just started my first brew (a nice Irish stout) im not getting a air tight seal, ive tightened the lid as much as i possibly can, new o rings and tap as well. Just wanting to know if this will this affect my brew in any way? ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Second that, no worries at all. The beer will generate positive pressure by generating CO2. Don't worry about airlocks bubbling or anything else, its all good and brewing away.

Thanks, will stop worrying now.....

also the beer has sat at around 24 degrees, i think in the morning i'll put some cool block around the fermenter to try and bring it down a few degrees. Got it in the coolest place in the apartment.

i would say a bigger problem now.... would be.... getting that damn lid off

After 1 night of trying everything (including prying) before i finally got a rusty peice of steel strap for some leverage to get a lid off.... i went to glad wrap...

The lid will come off one way or another hahaha. I think i'll be purchasing some keg lube and seeing if that works for air tightness and also removing the lid...

If you have the cool block handy, chuck it on tonight. Can also put a wet towel over it to keep temp down. The initial ferment will generate a little bit of heat. Ideal fermenting temp would be about 18 deg, but 20 ok as well. The initial stages of ferment are more important for getting a good taste.

If you cant, no huge dramas.

cling wrap that f$#&ermenter

and throw away the airlocks

search google images "cling wrap fermenter"

Mr B said:
If you have the cool block handy, chuck it on tonight. Can also put a wet towel over it to keep temp down. The initial ferment will generate a little bit of heat. Ideal fermenting temp would be about 18 deg, but 20 ok as well. The initial stages of ferment are more important for getting a good taste.

If you cant, no huge dramas.
put the cool block on it last night, checked again first thing and it'd dropped to 22/24, put another 3 on it before i left for work this morning, im hoping for a cooler day along with the cool blocks should hopefully get the temp dropped a bit more.

Maheel said:
cling wrap that f$#&ermenter

and throw away the airlocks

search google images "cling wrap fermenter"
will have a look into that, I'll probably leave it as it is for this brew then will possibly change the lid next time round.

As mentioned already, you don't need a perfect seal. A gladwrap/cling wrap lid is fine - just make sure you keep an eye on it. I've had a few burst from big beers going through some seriously quick fermentation.

In fact you don't want a perfect seal. You need to let the carbon dioxide escape.

I think I'll try the cling film on the next brew , ill be bottling the current brew possibly next turlesday/wednesday if its ready, then the beer will of had 9/10 days to ferment. Just struggling to get the temp low, got it 22 degrees with a few cool blocks but still about 2 degrees warmer than id ideally like

Latest posts

Back