Air Compressor For The Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I have seen a few air compressors advertised in a Supercheap Auto catalogue in the mail. I don't have an air compressor on my brewery to buy list, but was wondering if there would be any practical benefits of having one of these (apart from blowing up the tyres on my beer cart).

I have seen a few air compressors advertised in a Supercheap Auto catalogue in the mail. I don't have an air compressor on my brewery to buy list, but was wondering if there would be any practical benefits of having one of these (apart from blowing up the tyres on my beer cart).

Are you considering the thought of airation using a compressor??
Cause that would be insane :) they spit out condensation and oil etc.....
I'd even be carful blowing down gear or anything with it.

I see Super Cheap also have a set of car ramps on sale, maybe you need them in the brewery too?

I use one to push cleaner through the taps. I just put the blower onto a dedicated beer line and disconect. Works a treat but I didn't buy one for this purpose I just utilize it.

Cheers

Yeah, maybe no compelling uses. The only other use I could think of would be attaching an air nibbler for making modifications to metal objects, fridge doors etc. but probably overkill for such jobs.

Compressed air is good to clean grain mill rollers, I wouldnt use it for anything else around the brewery but inflating hand truck tyres :lol:

You could get pissed and use it to blow up your foreskin like a balloon for shits and giggles. If you've had yours removed you could use it to give more volume to your farts.

I use one to clean my kegs. A couple of litres of pbw and pump it up to about 30 psi and blow it out through the posts and prv then repeat with starsan. I still disassemble the kegs now and then. I use it on the mill too.

i have a big compressor and the hose reaches all corners of my shed..

ain't no way any of its air is getting inside any of my beer gear...

i may blow down the brew room floor occasionally. but that air is full of oil and nasties, stick ur hand under the drain tap of your compressor next time you drain it.. I dare you to feel enthused about licking your hand after.....

its for inflating egos that are easily deflated

Well....
I use a compressor , with an inline air filter and water trap , with a medical grade filter...attached to a metre of 5mm OD stainless rod and an airstone.... to airate my wort....i did this because a guy at the brew club has used this method for years and he has won that many awards...he gave me some rod and i thought...might as well....
Not had a single problem....

blowing out rollers on mill, dusting off gear thats been sitting around before washing it (makes cleaning a lot easier), have concidered using it for aerating. As ferg says with the appropriate filtration/separation inline shouldnt have a problem. You'd want to be filling the tank from empty first and I'd be building somekind of dryer from copper pipe too. Mind you I've an abundant supply of oxy so probably will never actually go down that path TBH.
In all seriousness though once you have a compressor you'll find more and more uses for one. Dont get a direct drive though - spend half decent money (minimum $600ish) for a proper belt drive. Your ears will love you for the lower noise, your pocket long term will love you (direct drive compressors shit out all the time, some dont even have oil lubrication), it'll fill faster and more efficiently and you'll be able to use more tools off it as they have a higher flow (typically)
Could I justify one for brewing? probably not. But im a car nut and I use my compressors all the time.

Komodo said:
In all seriousness though once you have a compressor you'll find more and more uses for one. Dont get a direct drive though - spend half decent money (minimum $600ish) for a proper belt drive. Your ears will love you for the lower noise, your pocket long term will love you (direct drive compressors shit out all the time, some dont even have oil lubrication), it'll fill faster and more efficiently and you'll be able to use more tools off it as they have a higher flow (typically)
Could I justify one for brewing? probably not. But im a car nut and I use my compressors all the time.
Totally agree. I would reccommend a 100L tank or greater, as the 50L and smaller have a higher duty cycle and quicker pressure drop over time. However I use high air volume tools such as die grinder, orbital sander, HVLP spray gun and am probably not stopping often enough.

Latest posts

Back