Air Bubbles Vs Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hey All,

It has been 9 days now since I put down this brew, the gravity has leveleed out at 1.012 for the last few days HOWEVER, I've noticed the airlock is still bubbling.

What does this mean? Confusing.. :(

Should I bottle today as planed or leave it for a while longer?

Thanx

What was in the brew? Dextrose, sugar, malt? The FG will depend on what fermentables you used, so 1.012 may be fully fermented, or still high.

Use the hydrometer readings to guide you.

The airlock may still show some movement due to changes in atmospheric pressure. Also, there is dissolved CO2 from fermentation in your beer, this will continue to slowly come out of solution from the beer for quite some time after active fermentation has stopped.

If in doubt, just leave it for another day or two before bottling. This will not hurt your beer.

Ingredients were as follows:

- Morgan's Golden Saaz Pilsner
- Ultrabrew - 500g Light Malt, 250g dextrose, 250g corn syrup
- 20g Saaz hop pellets

I was just not sure weither to trust the air lock or the final gravity.

It has been steady at 1.012 for the last 3 days now so I'm pretty sure it's ready for bottling... (yes?)

Thanks

NEVER trust the airlock. Its purpose is to keep bugs out (macro and micro)

Use your hydrometer: your final gravity will be about 1/4 of the starting gravity and should be stable two days running

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
NEVER trust the airlock. Its purpose is to keep bugs out (macro and micro)

Use your hydrometer: your final gravity will be about 1/4 of the starting gravity and should be stable two days running

Jovial Monk
Thanks

This is pretty much what I thought anyway so I have now just finished bottling.

CHEERS
SD :)

Back