AIPA recipe critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Gunna whip this up Sunday - after a bit of advice as to whether it will be too bitter.

For 15L cube

5kg American Ale malt
0.9kg Munich
0.18kg Carapils
0.25kg Wheat
0.1kg Acidulated malt
7g galaxy @90
7g citra @90
7g Magnum @60
14g galaxy@25
14g citra @25
14g galaxy @20
14g citra @20
21g galaxy in cube
21g citra in cube

Brewsmith says 7.4%, 133 IBU
I love a well hopped beer - is this too hoppy?

Cheers!

No idea what the aa% of each hop is and ~100 ibu is saturation point but too hoppy/bitter is where you define it. Certainly much more bitter than apa, much more in line with iipa. Over the top for me but everyone's different.

Grist looks good.

off the top of my head

I have nothing against a 90 min boil. Though I'd prefer to go with something like magnum for bittering, and therefore would move your first additions to FWH though the 90min boil throws this out, The grain bill looks fine, just remember you need some malt behind that hop bill, for me I'd be mashing a little high to add some body(67-69).

malt junkie said:
off the top of my head

I have nothing against a 90 min boil. Though I'd prefer to go with something like magnum for bittering, and therefore would move your first additions to FWH though the 90min boil throws this out, The grain bill looks fine, just remember you need some malt behind that hop bill, for me I'd be mashing a little high to add some body(67-69).
No. The style doesn't need malt behind it, this is an American ipa. It should be dry to bring the hops forward, mash low at 64/65c. Malt in this style is uses to create abv, that is what balances the hop assault.

jackdaw said:
Gunna whip this up Sunday - after a bit of advice as to whether it will be too bitter.

For 15L cube

5kg American Ale malt
0.9kg Munich
0.18kg Carapils
0.25kg Wheat
0.1kg Acidulated malt
7g galaxy @90
7g citra @90
7g Magnum @60
14g galaxy@25
14g citra @25
14g galaxy @20
14g citra @20
21g galaxy in cube
21g citra in cube

Brewsmith says 7.4%, 133 IBU
I love a well hopped beer - is this too hoppy?

Cheers!
if i was shuffling this, the hop bill would be

7g Magnum @60/90/FWH (kind of irrelevant as the bitterness isnt going to change much)
21g galaxy@10
21g citra @10
35g galaxy in cube
35g citra in cube

though no idea what that IBU comes to

Also, at 133 ibu and 7.4%, you might as well tip it out now.

The hop bill for a no chill beer is way out of whack and for aipa.

Look to drop the 60min magnum its not needed, bittering at 90mins to 35-40ibu is target.

Drop the galaxy at 90mins and just use citra/magnum, galaxy anywhere after 20mins gets astringency's.

Make a hop addition at 30mins with Citra and then move the rest to the cube.

Target 70-80ibu for that abv.

So to answer your question, your recipe would be too bitter, not hoppy if you don't make the changes.

A hefty dry hop will also be required at about 5g/L.

Pratty1 said:
Also, at 133 ibu and 7.4%, you might as well tip it out now.

The hop bill for a no chill beer is way out of whack and for aipa.

Look to drop the 60min magnum its not needed, bittering at 90mins to 35-40ibu is target.

Drop the galaxy at 90mins and just use citra/magnum, galaxy anywhere after 20mins gets astringency's.

Make a hop addition at 30mins with Citra and then move the rest to the cube.

Target 70-80ibu for that abv.

So to answer your question, your recipe would be too bitter, not hoppy if you don't make the changes.

A hefty dry hop will also be required at about 5g/L.
nochill was where my head was at when I made my comments above,

Thanks guys.
I'll take it all on board, make a few adjustments and report back in a few weeks.

Pratty1 said:
No. The style doesn't need malt behind it, this is an American ipa. It should be dry to bring the hops forward, mash low at 64/65c. Malt in this style is uses to create abv, that is what balances the hop assault.
Remember there are various aipa types. You seem to favour west coast ipa but there's others that do have more malt (and some new fangled eastern soft thingamy - north east I think)

Latest posts

Back