Aiba 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
* ANY beer entered in the low alcohol category is analysed and if it breaches the alcohol limit it is disqualified before it's even tasted.
Hopefully within the +/- 0.2% allowed us by the ATO. The cut off for 'reduced alcohol' at the aiba is 3.5% and that's where I target the mid I've entered. Sometimes it's a bit more and other times a little less.

Last year, between judging and the awards dinner, someone phoned from Victoria wanting a mixed case of Colonial beers and specifically, the four that I entered in the awards. Not the current seasonal, not my best seller, just the four I entered. Sure, no problem. I suspect that the beer went to an AIBA operative checking for commercial availability and trueness of type. I applaud the AIBA if that was the case.

Dudes,
To reiterate, the JW (my hetero-life-mate and attorney) and I will be attending the dinner and stuff representing FIBC. We'll reak havoc, upset old people, and overly have a ball in our quest for the Australian brewing dream... We'll have Acapulco shirts, a suit case full of fun, a dictaphone for rare recordings a special music, and we'll probably pick up the rental car and hand gun in Melbourne (I hear it's good for that). Looking forwards to catching up with everyone as I didn't attend last year's do what with the birth of my twins and all that. They're 1 year old in 4 days time! Woo Hoo! Best to use my Dad points while I can. Just a quick question: what time does the Exhibitors tasting start, as the JW and I are due to fly out Friday arvo.

Cool and Stuff, got my kegs sent out today! Keep a look out for a gypsy brewer and his Spic lawyer.
TIM

OK so if Lt Col Nathan Jessop picks up a trophy this year his speech may go something like this

Son, we live in a world that needs beers, and those beers have to be brewed by men in small breweries. Whose gonna do it? You Lion-Nathan? You, C.U.B ? We have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for mega-swill beers, and you curse the micro-breweries. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know. That mega-swill beers, while tragic, are a waste of tap space. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want craft brewed beer, you need craft brewed beer. We use words like character, hop flavour, & aroma. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent creating something. You use them in an advertising jingle. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain my craft to a man who drinks the very beer I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you let your brewers loose and brew real beer. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think of micro-breweries!

Gerard

That is gold.

I actually noted a few grammatical and speeellingerrors in that response from the GOOOOODDDD Reverand.

And by ways of conscience - the Reverend is a good cuddle in times gone by. He is one not bloated, least indulgenced, in southern lands.

Hopefully within the +/- 0.2% allowed us by the ATO. The cut off for 'reduced alcohol' at the aiba is 3.5% and that's where I target the mid I've entered. Sometimes it's a bit more and other times a little less.

Last year, between judging and the awards dinner, someone phoned from Victoria wanting a mixed case of Colonial beers and specifically, the four that I entered in the awards. Not the current seasonal, not my best seller, just the four I entered. Sure, no problem. I suspect that the beer went to an AIBA operative checking for commercial availability and trueness of type. I applaud the AIBA if that was the case.

Sorry dig, I missed this post. Yes we do take the 0.2% that the ATO give. I'd hate that we were to be considered harsher than the tax man. But when the "low alc" beers are blowing 4.1% on the GC....well it raises a few eyebrows.

On auditing, we're hoping to be able to move to ester and volatile analysis to make sure everyone is treading the line....

I get an independent lab to do my EtOHs and the mid I entered came back as 3.2%, so I'm confident that I won't get disqualified. 5 more sleeps and then off to Melbourne for lashings of ale. Hoorah!

Andrew
I am going to be at the day-time activities on the 27th, but won't be attending the awards as we won't be entering any. The Friday I will be on a course, either Royal Melb or Metro, but I will be at Mountain Goat on the 28th. These plans may all change as soon as we get ATO approval.
Cheers
Gerard

Good luck & enjoy the show guys, but a change of plans means that I am not going up to Melb this week. I have treked up & back 3 times in the past 3 weeks & I am over it. I enjoy the country lifestyle far too much to head to a crowded ugly city. Another week of pilot brews awaits as we count down to our opening!
The golf corses down here are much better than anything on the over-hyped sandbelt.
Cheers
Gerard

I'm off in a few minutes to the awards & heading back Saturday - Anyone want to catch up for a beer on Friday you can give me a call on 0412 666952.
Looking forward to the break & sinking a few :party:

cheers Ross

Back