Ahtanum U S Hop Pellets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me what beer styles use the above hops and are they used for bittering or for aroma or both.
I have got 50 grms from a good friend and I would like to use them in a recipe as soon as I can and then give a report.
Any basic recipes or any info on this hop would be appreciated.
Cheers

Thanks Big D.
Thats not a bad site but gives no info as to the use of these hops commercially.
I dont feel like doing a full Mash just to find out what they are like.
If know one can give me any info I might consider doing an all extract with enough to achieve about 40 ibu and make an assessment from there.
If no other info comes from this post I will let you know how I go.
Cheers,

i've got a few hundred grams of these.
I haven't used them yet because i have more hops then sense at the moment.
I just checked out some stuff and it seems it is quite like cascade and amarillo but it is not from the same strain.
This should make it a good hop to use by itself in a 1.045 pale ale.
Just swap the cascade for it in the common XLCR type brew we do BBB.
iam sure you want be dissapointed.
I have some many beers on my to do list. Its great getting a couple down in one day like Doc. When i do it though iam always maggoted by the end.

i'am gunna do a IPA recipe with it in a combo with cascade and amarillo first.
so i won't really get any idea of its flavour because i haven't used the amarillo yet either.
but one things for sure it will be a damn fine beer.

cheers jayse

For those interested in the Ahtanum watch this space as i just put down a american brown ale this week with them and reports on the beer will be about two weeks away.
anyway in the fermenting wort they taste great, extremely great actually.
They are tasting similar to cascade but with a little less grapefruit flavour but still the fresh, potent, fruity and spicy wicked taste i love.
Recipe for all interested below.
I had no idea of what to expect from these hops but so far iam very impressed.
Anyone else got any results to share re-athanum yet?

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 7/5/2004
Style: American Brown Ale
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Equipment: skunk fart brewery Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.25 kg BB Ale Malt (6 EBC) Grain 82.8 %
0.50 kg IMC Munich (12 EBC) Grain 7.9 %
0.25 kg JWM Amber Malt (45 EBC) Grain 3.9 %
0.25 kg Weyermann Caramunich II (124 EBC) Grain 3.9 %
0.09 kg TF Chocolate Malt (940 EBC) Grain 1.4 %
25.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.8%] (90 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [6.0%] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [6.0%] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU

Original Gravity: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 29 EBC (30-43 EBC)
Bitterness: 38.0 IBU (25.0-60.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.8 % (4.0-6.0 %)

EDIT: sorry yeast was 1026 cask ale.

cheers Jayse

JW amber malt? I have a heap of the real English amber malt, won't use nuttin else!

Used them in a RIS, finally can see why the CAMRA Real Ales book mentions a strong chocolate flavor. . .

Jovial Monk

I have TF amber at 100ebc too tom that is wonderfull just used the JWM at 50ebc in this to try..

Cheers Jayse

dicko,
I have made a recipe with these. Here is the post. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...wtopic=2376&hl= jayse posted the recipe. So far its still in primary. I want to transfer to secondary this weekend. Since I dont keg it will be a while before I taste the finished product. This brew will be the most hopped brew I have done so far and it will probably take a while to mellow in the bottle.
I reckon these hops would be pretty good. I bought them coz they are described as similar to cascade and i really like those and my ales. We can wait for the feedbaack from jayse. :chug:

cheers

SNAP!

I brewed an APA on Monday night using these hops (many thanks to johnno for supplying me with some B) )

Here is the recipe:

Crystal Rye Ale:

Crystal rye ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 7/5/04
Style: American Pale Ale Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Batch Size: 23.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.00 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt (5 SRM) Grain 70%
1.00 kg Weyermann Munich Malt-Light (13 SRM) Grain 20.0 %
0.25 kg TF Crystal Rye ( 57SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
42.00 gm Ahtanum [5.7%] (60 min) Hops 31.1 IBU
28.00 gm Ahtanum [5.7%] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
25.00 gm Ahtanum [5.7%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.045-1.056 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 10 SRM (4-11 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU)

Tastes pretty damn fine so far, would say that the Ahtanum is more restrained than Cascade but the beer is still fermenting out.
I will report back in 2 weeks as well.

C&B
TDA

Arab,

You've got me more interested in the Crystal Rye. Have you used it before? Any good?

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Arab,

You've got me more interested in the Crystal Rye. Have you used it before? Any good?

Warren -
Warren, no, this is the first time I have used it. Grumpy Thomas sent out a few free batches to brewers around Australia to try, I was one of those. I still have 250 grams left which will probably go into an Ordinary Bitter eventually. I'll let you know my opinions of it.

C&B
TDA

Just a follow up on that recipe i posted above.
It is unbelievable and one of the finest brews i have ever done. :chug: :chug: :chug:

The cask ale yeast is the greastest yeast i have used and as i have said to some others recently its like a great sound engineer ie it puts everything in its place and you can taste(hear) everything perfectly.
Iam so happy with brew iam almost tempted to delete my recipe above and keep it secret. :blink: nah i won't do that.

Anway the athunum is a great hop in this brew but there is no one stand out flavour as all the flavours are balanced and combine together to make one hell of a brew.

I had a swig or two of TDA's APA the other day and that to is great. The crystal rye didn't come up as strong as i expected being the grain itself taste so full of flavour.
The athunum though tasted quite smooth and not to much unlike amirillo in his brew not as potent and spicy as cascade but more a refined hop.
I think these hops would work well in many english type ales after trying them in my american brown.
Thats the story so far anyway.

Cheers Jayse
cheers Jayse

Being in the infancy of my brewing and not having tried too many different hop varieties yet I have to say that I am very happy with this hop.
I originally got it because it was described as similar to the cascade.
Well aroma and taste is very much like the cascade.
Sorry i cant provide much more info. Thanks jayse for the great review. I may try it in ann english style ale next.

cheers

Actually,
being on my second stub i am really getting into this brew. Not as prominent as cascade. It may have something to do with the amount I used also. Being much more than any cascade in a brew .
Thanks for that recipe as well jayse.

cheers

wait until you try amarillo johnno.
very nice hop :rolleyes:

yeah big d
they and all their brothers and sisters are on the hitlist.
just gotta find the time ;) :chug:

How would you discribe the balance in that brew you made johnno?
I have at least another 100g left so i'll do a couple more different beers with them. After this brown ale iam tempted to stick with some malty brews with them but may try a highly hopped APA, we'll see.
Anyway hope you get some good sessions out of that brew.

Jayse

jayse ,
with the amount you suggested in the recipe the balance is excellent. I am just starting to drink this brew now. When i first tasted it while brewing and then bottling it I thought that it was going to be way too bitter. Now its like the malt and hops have blended so well together. Err sorry if its a crappy description.
A big floral aroma, then a bang of malt followed by the smooth hoppiness.
I would even use more next time in a similar brew. Love it.

cheers

Sounds great johnno. I remember now you had almost 500g of crystal in there didn't you? so i would imagine it would be a reasonble amount of malt and sweetness.
I don't like the idea of having to go pay full price for these now after getting them cheap but they are well worth it.
Keep up the top work.
Jayse

Back