Ahb's Community Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm talking about oak I have a Burton Old Ale 16% ageing in my Am Oak Barrel for 2.5 months now. Thiefed a little sample yesterday. . .it is sound, not sour, will have nice oak showing through. . .Will bottle by end Dec, before temps are consistently 40C plus.

That is a wopper of a beer though, would not add oak to any old beer, sorry Kenneth!

Jovial Monk

Already had a vote, but for a point of difference how about some freshly brewed expresso added when racking to a secondary fermenter? Or each state could have a different pantry ingredient.
S.A oak chips, NSW coffee or something to make the community ale something a bit different.

Camel (def): a horse designed by a committee.

Guys, it seems to me we are heading rapidly towards camel ale. :D
Why not try a poll for each ingredient class (malt, hops, yeast etc) and go with the majority vote. Plus a partial & extract version so everyone can have a go.

Just my 2c

RobW said:
Camel (def): a horse designed by a committee.
Nice one rob, It is looking a bit suspect. I was expecting or rather hoping to see some brewers mention rye malt, rauch malt or oat malt or something along those lines for the specialty part of the beer but it looks like most brewers here are not thinking the same as I.

It'll come up reasembling a horse but it my have a bad habbit of spiting in your eye!

Jayse

jayse said:
It'll come up reasembling a horse but it my have a bad habbit of spiting in your eye!

Jayse
That'd give you the hump!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jovial_Monk said:
That is a wopper of a beer though, would not add oak to any old beer, sorry Kenneth!
Indeed - wooden beer casks are a very neutral character compared with wine or whisky cask. Of the real-ales I know and have tried from both metal and wooden casks (Wadworths 6X, Lees Bitter, St Austell XXXX, Theakstons O.P.) you'd be very hard pressed to spot even a hint of oak character in either. Any difference is usually attibutable to other factors (eg. fresh, direct, delivery from the brewery, more yeast (and therefore better cask conditioning), etc).

Jovial_Monk said:
Spices!

Coriander, cassia, cardamom. mace, star anise
snipped<
Cloves, pepper and ginger
snipped<
chili.
snipped< . .Grains of Paradise, nutmeg, pimento, juniper, spruce, heather

Anyway, spices are my contribution

Jovial Monk
Ok colonial saunders but is it the 11 herbs and spices or the way its cooked?are we making chicken or beer? <_<

Jayse

Have to agree with Jayse here -

At the most i usually only add 3 spices - normally Cinamon, Nutmeg and Cloves.

Not 11.....

Speaking of chicken - we could make an Australian Cock Ale....

OK, the ultimate "exotic" Australian spice.....

Add a splash of River Murray Water !!!

Go on, I dare you!

Even better, I dare you to drink it once its done!

Murray water is already 20% Pi55 by the time it gets to Goolwa anyway.

how is this ticking along?

It's a little restrictive only allowing one ingedient suggestion. I note Jayse also mentioned Oat Malt etc... Sounds great to me.

One of the threads that has left an impression would have to Doc's Big Beer Experimentation.

I don't doubt that we're looking at a big beer here, but I don't think we should be brewing the beer equivalent of Latvian Sweet and Sour or some Bavarian Pumpernickel. I think we should keep categories 21 and 22 right out of this, unless most of us think otherwise.

Let's get this brew back on track.

Yeast:
Whitelabs London Ale Yeast - Snow
Dry English Ale Yeast - AndrewQLD
Coopers Bottle yeast - TDA, barfridge
Wyeast 1728 (Scottish) - wee stu

Malts:
JWM Traditional Ale Malt - Andrew, PoMo, jleske
MO Malt - Gough, Barry Cranston
Melanoidin Malt - jayse
Australian Amber Malt - johnno
Caramunich III - Crispy
Chocolate Malt - jgriffin
CaraWheat - Doc

Hops:
Hallertau - Jazman
Northdown - Sean
POR - big d
Willamette - deebee
Northern brewer - Linz

Other:
water - wee stu
spices - JM
wood chips - GMK.

jleske said:
It's a little restrictive only allowing one ingedient suggestion.
I think we can move on from that now and start adding more ideas as everyone has had a chance to pick there ingredient. I just figured a good and novel place to start it of was each pick one, so with that post ideas, but still we don't want people just listing this that and the other but more like valid ideas.

My only real ideas so far are 1.065 and dark amber with some type of specialty grain.

Jayse

stainless mash tun or aluminium or plastic :lol: <_< :ph34r:

cheers
big d

What about an American Brown Ale? Lots of Malt, lots of hops and plenty of freedom with ingredients. Maybe base malt of choice, crystal(s) of choice, Northern Brewer and Willamette and American Ale II?

Just a thought... :ph34r:

Shawn.

PostModern said:
Other:
water - wee stu
spices - JM
wood chips - GMK.
I'm out there on the edge at last, outside the square, brewing radically.

American Brown, with the addition of Post Modern's exclusions 21 and 22 looks good.

Edit:To be clear I'm total agreement with Post Modern.

OK, OK, OK! You blokes just aren't keen to experiment :lol: Call yourselves real brewers... :ph34r: :lol:

Shawn.

Back