Ahb's Community Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say that as I'm drinking a Brown ale at the moment that is super delicious i would like to nominate the Australian amber malt.

cheers

ok base malts taken care of.
how about some crystal malt
and for hops........cascade or amarillo ;) bittering with northern brewer maybe :rolleyes:

cheers
big d

Thanx for backing me up there snow, i think everyone gets the idea now! :ph34r:

Love TDA's idea as culturing a bottle yeast adds another dimension to the project and i couldn't think of any more fitting yeast.

A few have mentioned EKG hops or other hops from the over that way, going with the aussie theme i think those hops fit in very well as these hops are a big part in the histroy of aussie ale and were used for over a hundred years before POR was even discovered. Thos. himself would have have never known what pride of ringwood was as his hops would have mostly been from the kent region via a lengthy sea voyage. If we were to take this theme in making the beer than we could go as far as to say pellets haven't been invented yet and wort loss to flowers is all part of brewing.

Anyway because this is a orignal beer not a history lesson the history doesn't need come into play :blink: i was just putting forward some ideas, maybe a silly one but its a idea. B)

I think by the replies so far the only real thing we can be sure of is it will have a traditional ale malt base. we just have to fight it out over MO and JWM.

Another idea i have to keep the community ale nazi title is anyone caught changing the recipe when they brew it will be shot. :ph34r:

Jayse

Bigd, do i need to get my big stick out? you did a kenny and choose too many ingredients!

Jayse

sorry jayse i got carried away again :(

ok then one grain addition to chew over.wheat seeing as how australia has shit loads of it.

hops...cant go past pride of ringwood.

cheers
big d

That stick is coming out! :ph34r: ;) you posted wheat AND POR now which is it?

Jayse

jayse

Somewhere i have read the recipe for Captain Cook's Ale - he brewed it on board the Endeavor on the voyage.....

A bit scary.

Since NaziMan has dictated one ingredient - and this is an Aussie Ale - and since we have a huge wine industry with tons of oak barrels - and beer was/used to be cask conditioned - my fav ingredient to add is Medium Toasted Oak chips.

Flame Suit On.....

Well I'll stich with Whitelabs Dry English Ale yeast. It ferments really well and clears up very quickly, and will still give a nice malt profile.

Ok Ken, got that suite zipped up nice and tight?
Headgear on?
Asbestos gloves at the ready?

Alright then.

Ken Ken Ken Ken Ken Ken,
If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times!
This is a beer site! Sod the wine industry. Remember, they are the ENEMY!!
Stop playing about with naughty bits!
And keep out of the pantry.

(in any case the chips are mainly used in the bulk cheap stuff anyway).

There. That wasn't so bad afterall, was it?

In fact after re-reading, it was worse for me than it was for you!

Good one, Ken! Oak chips - a little extreme, but not too far out there...

The Coopers sparkling yeast is a good suggestion, but can get a bit estery for those that don't have temp controlled fermentation.

- Snow

ok ok jayse
make it PRIDE OF RINGWOOD
that will be my only addition <_<

mind you if i had just one more :unsure: no i will be quiet now and watch with anticipation as this brew grows.

cheers
big d

mind you por isnt my favourite hop but it will suffice :(

GMK said:
jayse

Somewhere i have read the recipe for Captain Cook's Ale - he brewed it on board the Endeavor on the voyage.....

A bit scary.

Since NaziMan has dictated one ingredient - and this is an Aussie Ale - and since we have a huge wine industry with tons of oak barrels - and beer was/used to be cask conditioned - my fav ingredient to add is Medium Toasted Oak chips.

Flame Suit On.....
>Since NaziMan has dictated one ingredient

This is governed by a higher power than even me!

>Somewhere i have read the recipe for Captain Cook's Ale - he brewed it on board the Endeavor on the voyage.....

If you want to go down that road then to be real anal you would use spuce not oak and it would be malt extract not ale, indeed he would have had a plentiful supply of ale as any english naval ship would have had, cook started to use malt extract and sometimes spruce was used in it, he was trying to find a prevention for scurvy and believed it worked, which of course it didn't, last i checked a malt spec it doesn't mention asorbic acid.
If you want to get techincal ken do some research first! :ph34r:
It may be even more in line with history if we get our first beer recipe from our wives as thos did and if cook did actually brew a ale on his ship with his malt supply i could take a stab(a simple guess) that it may have been his wifes recipe who like thos. wife grew up in a the ale industry.
Iam not trying to say your oak chip idea sucks, although i think it does, i just think your all over the shop with your ideas there.

>and this is an Aussie Ale

This is a aussiehomebrewer.com ale

>and since we have a huge wine industry with tons of oak barrels -

I think you need to find elliot then built a contraption in the woods and phone home. You already have your flame suit on so your ready.

Jayse

Well,

I would have to say....CaraMunich II, thats my fav. crystal, and I also....

nope I think I'll stop at one after the previous spray... :lol:

still laughing after reading that....

Cheers,

Crispy

I reckon it's about summary time. Jayse, you want to fire up a summary of nominated ingredients? If there are multiple nominations in one post, select the first ingredient in the post.

Woooo! i think i over reacted to GMK there, sorry iam not history lecturer either!
Anyway this is meant in this best spirit so i'll try refrain from bursting out with nonsense. :blink:
actaully a old oak barrel with the remians of some whisky in it would almost certainly be nice given a recipe similar to the one made famous around here by doc in the imperial bourbon porter.

Nice choice there crispy. PoMo theres still a few yet to ark up, i guess if there game is now the question.

Jayse

PostModern said:
I reckon it's about summary time. Jayse, you want to fire up a summary of nominated ingredients? If there are multiple nominations in one post, select the first ingredient in the post.
whoa there, Pomo! This has only been going for a day! Lets wait to hear from a few more members (Doc, Pint of Lager, Jgriffin, etc?) and see if we can get a statistically relevant sample.

- Snow

I also vote for the coopers cultured yeast, especially with the weather getting warmer. My vote woulod go to WLP833 German Bock yeast, but thats just a smidgin too far away from the aussie ale style :)

I'm going to suggest Chocolate Malt.
Although at the risk of being flamed, if we end up going for a really pale beer, i'd suggest Williamette hops instead.

No worries jayse - you are right with the Spruce - he did use it.
I ahve actually tried aberr that had some spruce extract in it - one of the American brewers in Canberra made it...

Very, Very Different.

I am still Laughing......

............................NaziMan... :lol:

jgriffin said:
I'm going to suggest Chocolate Malt.
Although at the risk of being flamed, if we end up going for a really pale beer, i'd suggest Williamette hops instead.
Yay for Willamette ;) Oh, that's right, I've already voted. Sorry Jayse.... :p

Shawn.

Back