Ahb's Community Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
In one of Jayse's recent posts, he directed us to an article in www.homebrew.com. While looking around the site, I discovered this article discussing a beer that a number of members on the Homebrew Adventures internet "Brewboard" put together and brewed. It's called the 21st Century Schizoid Ale and the recipe was developed by people in the forum randomly nominating their favourite ingredients in an ale and everybody agreeing on a final recipe. The beer was then brewed by everyone at the same time using the same ingredients but had their choice of a few nominated yeasts. Each brewer had their own brewing techniques, mash schedule and priming techniques to set them apart from the others. The article the indicates that they then went on to exchange their beers among members and maybe even had them formally judged.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea and we should do an Aussie version, then swap them amongst ourselves at these ever frequent AHB get-togethers! What say ye all?

I'll kick it off with one of my latest favourite ingredients so far: Whitelabs London Ale Yeast.

Cheers - Snow

Great idea Snow - but might need to set up some parameters - eg
Fav ingredients must be chosen from the following categories:
- Yeasts
- Grains
- Hops
- Malt

might want to leave the PANTRY out of it.... :lol:

I think this is a great idea Snow, and if we all get to sample them it will really highlight the differences our brewing technique can make.
Ah! If only I could get to these meetings.

But I will tell you my favourite ingredients
Dry english ale (whitelabs) and Goldings hops.
I am sipping an ESB made with the above ingredients and it is crisp and clean with a dry finish and a ton of hop flavour. Yummm!

GMK said:
Great idea Snow - but might need to set up some parameters - eg
Fav ingredients must be chosen from the following categories:
- Yeasts
- Grains
- Hops
- Malt

might want to leave the PANTRY out of it.... :lol:
I don't know, GMK, I'm not averse to the occasional pantry item ;) . If we want to "Australianize" it, I have made some nice beers with Golden Syrup in them. Coriander, orange peel, oats, rice, etc, could play a part..... :unsure:

Maybe if we just see what everyone's favourite ingredient is, then that will give us an idea of what sort of parameters we can set? For example if a few people say saaz and Belgian wit yeast, then maybe we can include some spices.

By the way, what's your favourite ingredient?

- Snow

Well, if its an Australian Community Ale, how about using JWM trad ale malt for starters?

Hops? EK Goldings have to be in there somewhere....of course.

cool idea snow...

If we come up with a beer close to a style we could all bombard some unknowing brew comp with them....
:lol:

Asher for now

my Favourite Ingredients in th efollowing categories are:
- Yeast: 1084 Irish Ale followed by 1272 American Ale II
- Grains: Chocolate Folllowed by Black Patent
- Hops: Amarillo with Cascade as a close Second.
- Malt: Amber Liquid Malt
- Pantry: Dark Compound Cooking Chocolate followed by spices of Cinamon, Nutmeg and Cloves.

Extras:
Small Staves of Med/Dark Roasted American Oak in the boil and in the secondary - adds great flavour/complexity and extra depth.

defently halletrua or tettnanger,northern brewer and cascade hops

Grain have to use weyermans muich 1 or weyermann pils

plus i do like thomas faucett crystal 120 ebc

yeast 2206 is a good one and 1056 is fine about to try the 1028 and 1728 is fine too

well i want an aussie ale that promotes the oz pub theme.
tits and beer
just came back from the local and drank way to many coopers pale ales and perved on some beautiful lung hangers.guess thats why my mates reckon the blonde one had her eye on me. ;) she could tell a bloke with a six pack that drank great tasting beer compared to the melbourne red they were drinking.actually i go beyond the six pack.ive an 8 pack.chicks love it :lol:

cheers in too many beers

big d

by the way the brew collective is a great idea
my ideas later as long as i can hit it with hops ;) :blink:

I'll be in it. My fave ingredients of the moment for what it is worth are: Marris Otter Malt, Willamette hops and American Ale II Wyeast. But I'm happy to go along with whatever we all decide. If we are going to all have a stab at this we need to use ingredients that are relatively easy to get I reckon.

Good idea Snow,

Shawn.

I like the idea.... buuuutt....I don't think I would brew the homebrew.com Schizoid Ale.

JWM Trad Ale Malt.

EDITed down to one ingredient suggestion.

So far a couple of brewers have listed a few too many ingredients i think the idea is you get one choice of one ingredient, thats it no other favourite this that and the other just one ingredient, 'one or none', sorry 'communtiy ale nazi'

So with that in mind how about everyone post there ingredient choice, thats ONE ingredient.

As for the beer i think it will be quite a original aussie ale with the amount of different ingredients will be looking at in the end so i think were going for something a little original, it will have to be high gravity or it just won't be AHB ale B) . We could have a specialty ingredient in there also.

Anyway whatever beer comes out of it i want some.... hell it makes it hard when you can only pick one. :blink:

I'll go melanoidin malt that is great and could work in almost any beer, but most important its at the top of the fav list.

Jayse

Good Day

Maris Otter malt if it is to be an ale. If you want the best ale, use the best ale malt.

All the best, Barry.

Is this to be an All Grain affair, or will we have a partial/kit brew in parallel? Personally it's AG, there is no room in the fermenters for anything else (total AG convert), but I'm sure that there are members who would be interested in joining in on a communtiy ale but don't have access to an AG setup. Having said that, I'm willing to host an AG day inorder to do a community ale for anyone in my area who isn't setup for AG brewing, b ut note I'm a long way from being anything close to a experienced AG brewer.

My vote for ingedient:
JW Pale Ale Malt.

I'd nominate Northdown hops if you can get them in this country - definitely my favourite hop. If anyone does know a stockist, let me know.

jleske said:
Is this to be an All Grain affair, or will we have a partial/kit brew in parallel? Personally it's AG, there is no room in the fermenters for anything else (total AG convert), but I'm sure that there are members who would be interested in joining in on a communtiy ale but don't have access to an AG setup. Having said that, I'm willing to host an AG day inorder to do a community ale for anyone in my area who isn't setup for AG brewing, b ut note I'm a long way from being anything close to a experienced AG brewer.

My vote for ingedient:
JW Pale Ale Malt.
Fair enough, Jleske. I think the main recipe should be formulated as all-grain, but we should make a fair attempts at offering partial and extract alternatives, so everyone can have a go. I think we have to draw the line at pre-hopped kits, though. Therefore, if any extract exponents have a favourite brand of extract malt they recommend, then feel free to let everyone know. Of course this is a community beer, so lets have some debate on all this.

Jayse is spot on IMO. I reckon we should each only offer our most favourite ingredient of all time - yes it's hard, but this is supposed to be a challenge! So, those of you who posted multiple ingredients, can you please re-post, or edit your original post, to indicate only your most bestest favourite ever!

After a week or so (do we need longer?), we can put a single list together with all the ingredients posted, with the number of times they appeared, and then have a discussion on suitability to the Aussie theme, and logical flavour combinations (with typical AHB extremism, of course! :p ). High gravity, highly hopped, complex, Aussie....I can't wait! :D

- Snow

Okay, keeping it in an Aussie theme I would nominate Coopers yeast from the bottle.

C&B
TDA

OK then! I'll bring my list back down to one ingredient. Marris Otter malt it is. Tastes great, is easy to work with and should be relatively easy for everyone to get. :chug:

Shawn.

And Sean (great name by the way :p ),

I can get Northdown hops here in Newcastle. PM me if you want a ph. number etc.

Shawn.

Back