AHBs biggest Bargains. What have you scored?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
This thread is the hotly anticipated sequel to my "AHB's biggest Tightarse" thread.

Whereas the tightarse thread delved into the psyche on the brewer and their propensity to not spend money.

This thread examines the luck and good fortune that tends to fall upon the brewing community who happen to stumble upon a brewing related item at a ridiculously cheap price.

In the past I have posted about my $15 March pump. This weekend the Wantirna trash and Treasure market was particular kind to me.

Picked up the big 10 gallon (so I guess about 37litres) urn on the left for $10. It has dual 1.8 kw elements
Picked up the smaller one which is about 7ltres for $5 - methinks it might make a nice little HEX unit one day

20140518_164304_resized.jpg20140518_164323_resized.jpg

The later MrsGrumpy finds a lady with boxes labelled Craft Beer glasses at $1 per box of 2 glasses. Without any prompting MrsGrumpy goes the "how much for the lot" approach.

So for the princley sum of $8 I now own 23 of these

20140518_214351_resized.jpg

On a side note here is my urn collection to date

From left to right: future hex, current Biab/future HLT, future kettle.....all i need is a mash tun and 3v here I come.

(BTW - the middle one cost me $15 a while back)

20140518_165403_resized.jpg

I've got some of those glasses. They were free with a six pack of craft beer at BWS a couple of years ago. They're quite a good glass. Great buy!

I got a couple hundred kilos of barley for the princely sum of 6 homebrews.
Granted I had to malt it myself but hey, that's what I do!

I picked up a single tap kegerator with custom woodwork, keg, lines, regulator, CO2, tap. stc-1000 and a 23l fermenter for $525. Bargain.

Nice work up there !
Best I have done is a score off friends of my mum. An old couple who did K&K and were stopping due to age.

For $100 and a sixer of schofferhofer I got….

5 fermenters (still ok), 3 heat belts, 5 hydrometers, heaps of fermenter parts ( taps, orings, airlocks), about 500 old school longnecks, a few bottle cappers, and a bottle washer.

I promptly doled it out to mates who brew, so we all got a little pressie !

CF

A few years ago I scored a 30 litre keg, which already had the top opened up and a holes drilled for a tap and a thermometer.
It was gratis from a fellow AHB member, as he was about to move.
It's done sterling service in my brewery as an HLT.

A couple of years ago I got 200+ pickaxe, tooths and oooold CUB longnecks, an 18 gallon keg (that was modded to be a fermenter) and a 60L pot made out of ally sheet for free
The bottles ended up getting donated to another AHB member for a couple longies of his AG Saison (which was quite nice) and the 18gal keg is serving as the kettle for my new 3V rig
the ally pot went on the hard rubbish pile when I decided it was a little too sketchy for me

Other awesome finds have been the free fridge that served as my old keg fridge and all the free POR from Manticle/MartinOC that serves as the majority hop for my Sheep Shagger Lager

I scored an almost unlimited supply of brewing knowledge and advice from this very site for FREE!!!! That's right...FOR FREE!!!!

(Admittedly it's cost me a fortune in bargains, bulk buys, special deals and fancy equipment, not to mention the countless lost man hours, time not spent with the kids and more than one spat with the missus but I wouldn't give it up for quids.)

When I built my first 3v I still had my biab keggle. Good mate however gave me a half sized sankey keg. He'd chopped half out to make his keggle taller and welded the collar back onto the remaining keg.

It did faithful duty for a year as the perfect sized direct fired mash tun. I'm yet to make or find a more convenient thing for a single batch.

GrumpyPaul said:
Picked up the big 10 gallon (so I guess about 37litres) urn on the left for $10. It has dual 1.8 kw elements

Picked up the smaller one which is about 7ltres for $5 - methinks it might make a nice little HEX unit one day
I'm using an old SS Urn that I got for 10 bucks from a scrapyard as a malt-pipe in my BM copy.

A mate won a large alluminium pot at MB Beerfest a few years back. He was moving and needed space.

$40 later it was mine. Add $50 for a ball valve and a false bottom and I was the happy owner of a 62L mash tun.

I've since added insulation and a temp gauge. Looks the goods now.

A few days later a mate pops around with a gift. He's crafted a paddle for its maiden brew.

I scored a very nice 320 litre, not too old upright freezer for freeee. Add to that a fridge controller that my sparky father in law gave me for free. A few weeks earlier I scored a tub full of extension cords. With an onld enclosure and a couple of cable glands that I got from work for free = 320 litre, upright freezer westinghouse brew fridge. Free!!

Nothing too spanky but i got 2 fermenters with all the fittings a bench capper and 150 crown cap longneck bottles for $40 on ebay

Camo6 said:
I scored an almost unlimited supply of brewing knowledge and advice from this very site for FREE!!!! That's right...FOR FREE!!
I got all of that and a borderline drinking problem too! A pretty great deal, no? :D

Scored 5, 50l kegs from the boss, unmarked refill kegs, Free, lines, taps and gas less than 200 bucks. Still need a fridge and to make some great tasting beer but reckon I have worked out a free lesson with a member here, I actually vouched to pay for his grain bill to sit in on a session just to see how it is all done by a 10 year veteran. That sort of hands on information is priceless. Will also be taking around a few bottles on brew day for a critique of mine to try and improve my methods taste etc etc.

menoetes said:
I got all of that and a borderline drinking problem too! A pretty great deal, no? :D
Amen to that bro and i'm only on 20 posts. :)

I picked up a single tap (ek Tap) fridge with 2 cornies a micromatic reg and 6.8kg gas bottle last year for $80 with line and disconnects though the line was chucked, and the tap is in the "spares" cupboard also chucked the fridge got too many anyway :p

Scored a near new F&P 422B fridge for some brews. The fridge part wasn't working due to the fan not working.

Repaired the fan by resoldering the red wire, and now it makes a perfect 5 keg beer fridge

Back