AHB Strava Club

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
Noticed a few people mentioned they did a bit of cycling and running whilst I was reading the biggest loser thread. So I decided to make an AHB Strava club.

There are apps for smartphones, use dedicated monitoring devices, such as Garmins and Polars etc. or just manually upload your exercises.

Everyone's welcome to join.

For those unfamiliar with Strava, it's a website that logs your exercise data (primarily by way of GPS and other monitors) and compares them with your own previous efforts and the activity of others. It's highly addictive you're into stats and is a great tool for maintaining motivation.

Check it out here;
http://www.strava.com/clubs/AussieHomeBrewer

I am on strava too, so i figured i should join up.

im a cross country mountain biker. take on a few club races and a few endro races in a year.

just polished off the jetblack 24hr race, where we came 4th in the 4 man elite. hope to be able to log a few more kms next year

I'm on strava. No athlete but it's good for logging kms on the bike. Mostly commutes.

Used to run a lot pre-strava but injuries have prevented me.

Ok joined not my most impressive week but I'm all for sharing.

Joined up as well. My 100kms per week should really boost our figures. he he...

Not quite sure if I'll reach my goal of 2000kms for the year. 1566 at the moment so 3 weeks left will be about 300kms, which leaves me with having to do some weekend rides. These are hard because that is family time.

You guys are insane. What type and costs of bikes are you doing this on. I bought a 100 dollar big w bike over ten years ago and the tyres look almost brand new.
Toyed with the idea of buying a better one and getting into riding. Probably should have spent the $1500.00 that I forked out on a treadmill on a better bike. Geez I hate hindsight.

Cheers

I bought my bike second hand for 3 or 4 hundred. Had it 5 years. Some years it gets a lot of riding and others less. Much less.

Just joined the group. I'm a runner not a rider though.

He he, I bought my bike for about $700 15 years ago. Just got some lighter 2nd hand wheels off a mate trust he couldn't sell. They dropped 1kg off the bike. And it still weighs a shitload. Ha ha!!!

bradsbrew said:
You guys are insane. What type and costs of bikes are you doing this on. I bought a 100 dollar big w bike over ten years ago and the tyres look almost brand new.
Toyed with the idea of buying a better one and getting into riding. Probably should have spent the $1500.00 that I forked out on a treadmill on a better bike. Geez I hate hindsight.

Cheers
Road bike;

Have since cut the stem, trimmed the rear cable and upped the seat.
Campag Super Record 11 speed
7.5kg
Built it up myself so about half the cost of a similarly spec'd bike from a shop

Mountain Bike;

Carbon Jekyll 1
650B goodness
Sram X9
Bought second hand/demo from an employee of a bike shop

The MTB is so much fun whereas the roadie is all about speed

I'm in
Haven't been on the bike for ages so maybe this will help get my fat arse in the saddle
Well done Argon
Pics of my trusty steed sans cobwebs to come

Nice bikes Argon, but it is extra proof that architects cannot draw or own anything that is standard or has straight lines. B)

argon said:
Road bike;

Have since cut the stem, trimmed the rear cable and upped the seat.
Campag Super Record 11 speed
7.5kg
Built it up myself so about half the cost of a similarly spec'd bike from a shop
finally got around to reading this thread.... no wonder your commute is faster than mine - look at that machine!

Here's a pic of my bike, pit hard to see. There's not much left of the original bike after the first few years of hard slog, basically just the front wheel and forks left now I think (yep, not even the frame). The gold bottle cage is from my previous bike, it's lasting fairly well but not much can go wrong with that.

I'm thinking I'll switch the tyres out for schwalbe marathons which weigh half what the current tyres weigh.

Original bike took 10 months from the states, replacement for the cracked frame a year later took 4 months to get replaced under warranty (delay in getting the frame not getting the warranty approved). It is a very nice bike to ride but hard to get. If anyone is looking for a good commuter bike and can find a decent second hand Gary Fisher 29er hard tail I'd definitely give it a go.

7526135520_77d737cfa9.jpg

I am riding a 2010 Giant Trance x3.
Pretty much entry level trail xc bike.

Ill be on this for at least another year, I will eventually trade up to a 29er when this one wears out.

Pic of me in a race from a few weeks ago.

Josh JB24HR 2013.jpeg

I don't have strava but I do MTB... just bought myself a new trance 27.5 1 alloy, great bike, just gotta fix the tyres to something less squirmy. Being in the blue mountains, there is lots to do up here... oaks, knapsack, woodford dam, faulco/grose rd and a nice little network of local trails

Don't race (CBF training up) but more for exercise I guess, been riding for ages really had my "proper" MTB for around 6-7 years now

$1000 will get you started nowadays or buy a nice little 2nd hand that'll be slightly higher spec than an off-the-rack bike for that price, unless you get a runout or awesome deal

My mate just brought a new trance a few months ago. Great specs for the price. I've got a new trek fuel ex 8. It's a dream to ride.
Wish my bike had a dropper post and the 30mm fork lockout that the trance has tho. I love the 29s tho it rolls over things like a monster truck lol

Ok just joined. Now need to work out how to send Garmin stats to strava.
Mostly ride trails around Perth or commute on our heritage trail.

Rich

Strava sorted. This is a great idea Argon, been a bit slack lately so could be the motivator i need.

Cheers

Rich

Some good numbers coming in lads.

I've got to try and keep the rides ticking over the Xmas break. My goal is 2000kms for 2013 and I am currently at 1892kms.

It's easier when commuting to work because I am forced to get to work somehow. It's going to be a bit harder on holidays because I don't have to go anywhere.

The only thing I have to do is wait until lunch time when the bar opens... :D

Last year when the Grafton-Inverell classic was on, a rep pulled up at the pub with 3 bikes on the roof rack. They were $15k each..

The bikes cost more than the car.

Back