Quantcast

Ahb Brew Day

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Linz

Reaction score
Just thought and suggestion,

Should we,could we, do we have enough members to start thinking about having a AHB brew day. Is anyone interested ?

That is areas gathering together all on the same day and brewing a beer together(along the same lines as international brew day), sort of like individual state brew fests. Could be a couple of these in each state if necessary, or even individuals brewing on the day. Dunno if it would be a post recipe or each group decides what they want.
Maybe even someone could host one or the group could split the bill and the brew in bottles. Was thinking of May day also

Responses/thoughts please. We all seem to be organizing different ones at different times.
Then next year you can consume the makings from this year. As usual keeping notes on everything. Mailing samples across the country for others to try.etc,etc

Anyone keen leave your mark please

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Top idea Linz !

Batz

Reaction score
Oh
That was my mark
:ph34r: :ph34r: :blink:

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
yep good idea linz.
think i will be the only one in the n.t though unless we can convince bonk (from darwin)away from grumpys and onto this forum.

Batz

Reaction score
Yep
Like big d I would be a loner up here , not to worry , perhaps we could send a few brews off to fellow AHBers

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
This is my Idea.

If we organise it in May as may day - then it ought to be MEAD.

Then we organise one in August/Sep for lagers - to be drunk in the summer
and the organise one for dec/jan for ales for the winter.

But we should make may mead day. After all - that is history.

Batz

Reaction score
Well I will try one of your meads GMK , when I am down south , not to sure , I have'nt tasted a good mead yet

Linz

Reaction score
Sorry Ken, didn't mean to cut your grass. Could you please set me straight and put a link to where you posted it and then the administrators can shift it to there

Thanks

kook

Reaction score
I'd be up for a brew day, but not mead unfortunately. I just cant be bothered with it :) The time involved to get the level of clarity nessicary is a tad too long for me.

The commercial meads I've tried recently were too close to white wine for my liking too. I find the taste just too cloyingly sweet. Just my personal tastes though...

I did enjoy a methyglin I had from Bartholomews about a year ago though.. That was tasty :) The spices balanced out the sweetness perfectly.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea Linz. I would be happy to host an AHB SA chapter brewday (ladies bring a plate :rolleyes: )
I would be happy to buy a bottle of mead and wave it over the boiling wort for GMK's sake :p

C&B
TDA

dane

Reaction score
I think the AHB group meets are a great idea.

I have some ideas in the works, obviosuly to get the site up to scratch (chat, new skins, better portal/front page, reciepe DB, etc) but I also have some community based ideas.

I think it would be great to try and get the AHB community established in various areas across the country.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
I must have missed this first time around. sounds like a top idea. There are at least 2 of us now on the board from Newcastle, so maybe we can contribute from here. I'm with Kook though, not big on the mead... Maybe a nice Pommy ale, or if we are worried about cooler temps, a Bock?

Shawn.

J

Jovial_Monk

You guys need to get into mead!

You can start a couple of meads, make one a quicky with finings, let the other age, start a couple more, before you know it, always have a new mead coming on stream.

What is good about meads?
1. Lots of alcohol, I mean LOTS, I have one mead the hydrometer was floating so high part of the bulb bit was visible, figure 1175 OG

2. Lots of styles: braggot (malt) melomel (fruit) cyser (apple juice) pyment (grape juice) metheglyn (spices) and there is another style with herbs

3. Great taste. meads can, should , be aged for some years. Yes, more waiting but jump into meads and soon you have lots of vinatages of your meads to chose from

4. Meads are easy, shit, how hard is it to stir some honey and water together for 5 mins?

Some good yeasts available, champagne, lalvin 71B and D47

let your imagination run riot, BUT MAKE MEAD!

Re the ahb get togethers, good idea, but we want to have one big one where all who can meet somewhere in Adelaide. Pesonally, love to have a function in Ballarat, tour the Uni brewery, etc. Some here remember the Fest in Sydney, tour of the malt Shovel, etc. Hell, I never been to Perth or Darwin, hold something there! Etc etc

Jovial Monk

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
any excuse to get together and brew is good.
i like it.

nothing agaisnt mead but that does sound a little boring to make
i think i could instruct my six year old to do that while we just sit around and booze up and make some beer.

jayse

J

Jovial_Monk

Ummmm, I meant we should ALL get together somewhere in Australia, nationwide AGB get together. Ballarat would be good.

The physical part of mead making does not take long (though you need to prepare fruit, crush spices etc in advance) but you still need to formulate a recipe. And bottle into wine bottles, cork not cap, and lay down those bottles of mead. Like wine they will keep on improving over many years.

And if you think no skill is required, try fermenting an 18% mead!!!

Jovial Monk

Latest posts