AHB Articles: What is a grain mill to purchase??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a corona mill I would like to sell if anyone interested? $50 plus postage from adelaide or local pickup.

I use a "Taurus" from Aldi, cheap as chips @ about $50, you want one that has plenty of torque at low RPM or you will burn it out (as I did) I think Kev has a similar Ozitto drill, you want one that has the little dial on the trigger so you can set it to the speed you want.

Stay away from using a battery drill, a PITA as the bloody batteries invariably die half way through the grist and then you burn out the power drill trying to finish it off <_<

I set mine mill up on my MT and mill directly into it with a wooden jig to hold the drill so it's all hands free.

No me with the Ozito drill. I did use a geared 18v cordless for a year or so. These days I use a dedicated DC geared motor, costs under $100. I just walk up and throw the switch and get the same speed every time. Details on my website if anyone is interested.

Billk uses a motor too, (he just needs a bigger hopper :ph34r: ) nice little unit.. dunno who's photo it was I am thinking of then, from memory he did a little video of it too :unsure: ahh well, at the end of the day there are a million options and reasons for each, me? I went the Taurus and bought a bag of grain with the change and am happy with it ;)

:icon_cheers:

Billk uses a motor too, (he just needs a bigger hopper :ph34r: ) nice little unit.. dunno who's photo it was I am thinking of then, from memory he did a little video of it too :unsure: ahh well, at the end of the day there are a million options and reasons for each, me? I went the Taurus and bought a bag of grain with the change and am happy with it ;)

and as a bonus you get a decent torque drill

OK, i just bought the Ozito drill, i haven't received my Monster Mill 3.2 yet, can anybody tell me what type and size of drill bit i need to hook the drill up to the mill?

Cheers in advance

Billk uses a motor too, (he just needs a bigger hopper :ph34r: ) nice little unit.. dunno who's photo it was I am thinking of then, from memory he did a little video of it too ahh well, at the end of the day there are a million options and reasons for each, me? I went the Taurus and bought a bag of grain with the change and am happy with it ;)

Not a lot of people here would know me as BillK :p but yeah the Minimill works a treat and yep, a bigger hopper would be nice but not a necessity at the moment. Here is a link to one of the videos you were talking about.

Just purchased a CrankandStein 3D, was tempted by its larger sibling, the 320D (and all the trimmings such as SS rollers), but in the end the 3D, hand-crank and hopper + delivery was $290 AUD was enough coin for one evening. Now I gotta get some scales...

Could you use a pasta roller as a mill if the width/gap of the rollers is enough?

Aren't the rollers in a pasta mill smooth? You need them to be "knurled" to crush grain otherwise they won't grip onto it to pull it through and crack it.

micblair said:
Just purchased a CrankandStein 3D, was tempted by its larger sibling, the 320D (and all the trimmings such as SS rollers), but in the end the 3D, hand-crank and hopper + delivery was $290 AUD was enough coin for one evening. Now I gotta get some scales...
An opportunity missed.
Have always regretted not getting ss rollers with my Cranker years ago as they are more forgiving if something hard comes along mixed with the grain.
Being ss you can dampen your grain without fear of rust forming on the rollers.
Just my 2 cents.

SNippets said:
Could you use a pasta roller as a mill if the width/gap of the rollers is enough?
I started modifying a pasta roller at one stage but like Bribie G says the rollers need to be knurled. The rollers on my were just tube with end caps and when I showed a metalworker he said they were too thin for decent knurling. I did read on HBT a build where the bloke took to the rollers with a file and just scored the surface but I didn't want to waste a half decent pasta mill for a half assed grain mill. But YMMV. Ended up doing some OT and investing in a mashmaster minimill and couldn't be happier. Broke the flimsy perspex hopper pretty quickly so made a bigger one from MDF. Not the prettiest but works a treat.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57859]

mikec said:
Only problem I have with the Mashmaster mill, having a round shaft with no "flat" part, the chuck of the drill doesn't grip it that well and it can slip. I have to tighten the chuck two or three times while doing a 4-5kg grain bill.
Does the mashmaster not have one of these? It's a great feature.
mill.jpg
Just find a hex bit that fits and stick it in there, that's how I drive my hand crank (speed brace acting as a crank).

get your 4" grinder and run a few flat spots in. Hell you could buy a 4" grinder with a couple of discs for less than a carton of commercial beer if you dont already have one.

I've a MM3-2.0-SS Thing is a weapon no doubt about it. I've got it backed up by a 10:1 pully combo (or there abouts) and a 1HP 240V 1450 RPM motor.
I will one day own a geared roller mill though as it pisses me off when the grain wont run through and I have to empty it all out to start again. Though this happens less these days than when I first go it.

Latest posts

Back