Agrresive fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordy

Reaction score
Hey, first time post long time piss head.
I currently have a APA in the primary fermenter going absolutely ballistic, temp is at 24 degrees and it is going if it's f**cken tits. So my question is this a issue with infection as there is no longer water in the airlock just foam pumping through, should I attempt to subside by draining a few litres?
Help!

What yeast strain are you using? Do you have a way of controlling the temperature? - 24° is pretty warm for a lot of strains. You shouldn't be at risk of infection from your airlock issue, there's not much chance of contaminants 'flying' back through an airlock with the current activity.
If you can bring the temperature down a little, it may help the beer taste a little better, if not, I'd either attach a blow off tube or just leave it and replace the airlock once fermentation dies down a bit.

i brew ale yeast with 1 deg tops. i imagine your brew has calmed down by now, would have ran out of sugars.

I usually start ales at 18oC for the first few days then move to 20oC the 24oC over 14 days.

You'll be right. Had it happen heaps. I just cleaned it up and carried on as usual. Even a wet towel wrapped around the drum can help to keep your temp down by a few degs. Hot weather sucks for brewing. Saison comes up well at higher temps.

Just keep cleaning the airlock and refill ing with sanitizer till it clams down.
I have had it happen many times and beer has always been ok.

I use a blowoff tube rather than an airlock when that happens. Less chance of things like a clogged airlock.

just sanitise a piece of pvc hose and then run it into a glass, jar or beaker of water.

Latest posts

Back