Agitating The Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
g,day all, i need some help/advice about agitating during mashing. i have got a mixmaster and am considering attatching it to my yet to be completed brew tree, how long should i mix for? (at very low speed to avoid hot side aeration) i have found some info on the web. has anyone tried this before? and what were the results? pro,s and con,s? cheers <_<

Hi Spog,
Mix master will be too fast and will probably create the provebial "souffle"
I reckon 5 rev's/ min max or slower

Yeah, I've entertained using one of those little rotisserie motors. They only do 4 or 5 RPM and cost about $50 (more to the point, there is one on my barbie that gets used twice a year). Its just another of those gunna jobs and in the meantime a paddle is easier tho not as impressive

I have tried using a paddle of sorts in a mash tun before to mix the grain a little. Part of the problem I have is the RIMS no splash wort return is in the way and I am afraid of dislodging the pipe from the flase bottom. But....I thought of a great idea for gentle mixing. You know those paint stirrers you can buy that have like a fully encircled blade down the bottom plus some 'swirl-blade' type things that comes up the shaft a bit? The ones you pop into your drill? Well whack one of these into your cordless, put it on low speed gear and then turn it real slow. This will pick the mash up from the bottom and help bring it up top. Get rid of any dry pockets and help equalise temps from top to bottom.

Pete
:beer:

Try a windscreen wiper motor. You can get one for nicks from the local wreckers.

check out this topic.

thanks for the tips fellas,i should have said in my original post that i was considering hooking the mixer up to a dimmer switch to control the speed and keep it slow,i asked a wire jerker about this today at work, he said a dimmer possibly would not last long as they are not as gutsy as they used to be. a fan control box was suggested and he is cheking it out for me,i will let you all know the outcome cheers.

Back