Ag'ing Without Kebab's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Well the Kebab cooker wasn't ready in time to coincide with the first AG and the thermometers and HLT elements haven't arrived yet but I decided to jump in plugs and all and have a go. I borrowed a thermocouple from work which was a great help in the meantime and the HLT is running on gas.

I will right the speal in this post and the photo's will follow. :rolleyes: This brew was a copy of the Peoples brewery's Special Bitter (thanks Shawn)

Well the mill got it's first real run-in and worked a dream as did the Borretmaid. Target temps were hit and only budged a deg over the 80min mash. Becasue of the size I had to do 2 sparges but efficiencies weren't too bad. Beersmith tells me I got 81.5% mash efficiency which I'm happy with. :)

Had a few hickups with the end of each sparge with fine particles coming through the FB at the end of the drain but this just needs to be looked for and won't be a problem. However 29.5 litres into the kettle and all was well.

Boil was fine with the trusty Low Pressure 2 ring deep fryer burner which came to boil in just over 15 mins from 62 deg. I did run the boil flt out for 10 min then back to 1 ring for the rest but will have to tone this down further in future as there was nigh on 24 litres post boil and then becasue of those pesky plugs (first time user) I only saw 20 litres into the kettle. However I cheked my gravities and dilution an added another 3 litres cooled boiled water to it this morning and it's still just over target OG. The epicyclic trocoidal chiller worked a treat too with 22 deg hit in under 1/2 hr.

So things are starting to ferment nicely and all the brewing was said and done with mashin at 7:30, boil finished 11:30 and piching yeast just before 12:30. (cleanup not included)

So now onto the photo's (every other coot does it so why shouldn't I) and maybe some Kofte some time in the future :p

Cheers

Borret :blink:

First the brewery in it's current state of construction. The white cubby hole in the background is the child friendly boil area (the kettle is on castors, as is the burner)

breweryfront.jpgbreweryback.jpg

Grain mill loaded up and ready, After 1st run and the final crush after second run. I have left the final crush image slighter larger to get some feed back on the crush as it has never been under critique.

01___readytocrush.jpg02__1st_mill_run.jpg
03__2nd_mill_run.jpg

Underletting the mash, top of mash
04__underlet.jpg05__mash_top.jpg

The colour of first, second and third runnings

06__1st_runnings.jpg07__2nd_runnings.jpg
08__3rd_runnings.jpg

First running into kettle

09__runnings_kettle.jpg

Preboil volume,

10__preboil.jpg

Who said low pressure burner weren't hot

11_lpburner.jpg

Hot breaking and hop schedule

12__hotbreak.jpg13__hops.jpg

Borret,
Glad to see you finally popped your AG cherry. Your crush looks fine to me, and pitching yeast 5 hours after mashin is pretty good first up.

As some other members do, I drain into a cube(must be blue as recommended by Chiller) out of the CFWC(not quite as efficient as yours - mine tends to be mid to high twenties deg C), let it settle for up to 12 hours, b4 transferring off any remaining settled trub, to the primary and pitching the yeast starter. That way I end up with a pretty clear brew.

Well done

Cheers
Roach

Chiller in the boil and it's slightly cleaner self on removal

14__chiller_in.jpg15__chiller_removed.jpg

Clear Wort into fermentor

16__wort_in_ferm.jpg17__wort_in_ferm2.jpg

And the remnants of those damb plugs :angry:

18__dambplugs.jpg

That's all folks

Cheers

Good stuff Borret. Glad to see things went well first time in. Hope the recipe lives up to expectations. 82% first time in is top stuff indeed. You won't be cursing those plugs once tasting time comes by the way, I'll bet on it ;)

Played strong, done fine :)

Shawn.

Go Borrett!! Go Borrett!! Go Borrett!! Go Borrett!!

Mate, ya had ta go an bandy that mill about. :rolleyes:

When's mine coming? :lol:

What no Sadie pics? She's a hottie that deserves exposure.
:wub:

Good stuff. :beerbang:

Warren -

Oh, hang on! :ph34r: There's a shot of Sadie hiding in the background. :rolleyes:

What a sort. :lol:

Warren -

Top work Borret
No looking back now.
It will be the best beer you've ever made, because you made it from scratch on equipment you built with attention to detail.
Looking forward to the tasting notes in this thread in a month or so.

Beers,
Doc

Looks great Borret. I like a hop bag to help with plugs. Not a little one, get one the size of a pillow case so they can still do their job.
Cheers
Gerard

Nice setup Borrett.
Good to see things went well.
as always, being tool challenged, I always envy the brewer who can make such great equipment.
Happy brewing.

johnno

Well done, so neat and tidy also, so neat and tidy I had to start a tidy-up of my brew house after see those shots. A very impressive set-up. B)

Well done Borret - no looking back now...

& I second the hop bags - never brew without 'em - makes life so much easier...

Thanks Guy's. I will be looking into the plug problem. Either bags or a ball to put them in made from ss mesh. Will see what I come up with.

warrenlw63 said:
Oh, hang on! There's a shot of Sadie hiding in the background.
What a sort.
Warren -
[post="76370"][/post]​

Oih, leave ol' Sadie alone. :lol:
She might be an old hag but she hot, still gets around and is very flexible. What more can a brewer want. (see photo- I have made the burner height adjustable so I could tune the distance from the boiler base and I can wheel her out for when I run the chillers)

That said she is the ugliest thing I've ever come accross but might match the ol' crock-pot for simmering kofte sauce in :rolleyes: .

sadie.jpg

with the plugs why not grind em up to a powder like with a coffe grinder or a food processor

Borrett

I have a freind who works for the same Company as you. She is one of the head printers...

Might give me an excuse to visit her and brew a beer with you...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Borrett

I have a freind who works for the same Company as you. She is one of the head printers...

Might give me an excuse to visit her and brew a beer with you...
[post="76456"][/post]​

Cool, but you've got me confused a little with the head printer :unsure:

Borret

Back