Aging with Oak Chips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTwin

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got 3 big RIS stouts on the go at the moment, and I'm aging 2 of them on oak chips (presoaked in whisky). The 3rd I just added the resulting whisky (after the presoaking) but left the wood out. I'm now wondering the best way (once the aging has completed) of avoiding oak chips in my bottle and or keg in the first two brews.

I hadn't really thought that bit out, so I was wondering what others have done in the past ?

All brews are in glass carboys, so I'll be using a siphon when the times comes to get the beer out.

Thanks.

Siphon through some sterilised cheese cloth? Wont help yiur current brews but when I've aged beers on oak I no chill into cubes with the oak staves in for as long as needed then pour into fermenters leaving oak staves behind.

Sorta on topic question:

Whats a good amount of oak to put into a 21-23L batch and how long do you oak it for?

Pretty guestimatey with mine (french oak chips) - a small handful, toasted then remove when it tastes how you want.

OP - small hop sock, tied and weighted will do the trick next time.
For this - try gently racking to a different vessel and seeing what you can leave behind. You should be able to avoid most using a siphon.

Sorta on topic question:

Whats a good amount of oak to put into a 21-23L batch and how long do you oak it for?
depends on the oak, toast level and what level your aiming for in the beer.
I'm using dominos and using about 50G per 20L batch and its medium toast+ and hungarian.
french and american id use less and a shorter period.

Sorta on topic question:

Oak chips i used 1g per liter. Then sometimes the oak flavor, or Tannins can get a bit heavy so then removed the oak from the keg.
French Oak blocks I have now in a stout at 3g per liter and leave it in for the entirety. Much more subtle nicer flavor I've found.

I use 2 to 3 3-4 inch long mini staves in some of my dark beers
I've used chips before and always had nasty tannins no matter the amount or soaking time, so I switched
I use Subert Lafort mini staves that I bought in a BB on another site

Back