Ageing Beer! It definitely works!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrPrize

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, still doing K&K, some hop additions really not branching out to much atm,i like to research and really get an understanding of what i'm doing and why before i undertake a brew! But one thing i had heard of quite a lot but really didn't test out much in my total of 5 brew thus far is ageing the beer! Basically i'd brew it drink it repeat. Fortunately for me i must have mixed up some bottles from a second batch (Canadian blonde, with a hop addition, citrus peel and orange blossom honey) so i poured a beer tonight thinking it was another batch, but was in fact my second batch which had been ageing for four months and wow the difference is unbelievable. The flavors have all heightened eg. the honey has mellowed out, but still very prominent (not so much sweet just honey flavor), the citrus which was basically non existent before is now a nice back note. I suggest to anyone who is impatient like me, just forget about a bottle and see what you think a couple of months down the track and judge yourself! Anyone else got a similar experience?

This is why I have a collection of about 250 odd stubbies. Or partly anyway. It allows me to age brews for months if I want to, and also have a variety of brews on hand to drink, to mix it up a little rather than just drinking each batch in order of bottling or whatever. I have a batch of stout that has been bottled over a year still sitting in the cupboard. I've found my pale ales tend to be at their best around a month to two months, but darker brews like porters and stouts definitely benefit from ageing. At the end of the day though, it's up to you when you drink them. Whenever you feel they taste great, they're ready. At least that's how I see it with my brews. :icon_cheers:

60% of the time, it works every time.

:icon_offtopic: i'm just happy you used the correct spelling for definitely. it makes my heart sing.

With those stats alone 58%, 60% only re-integrates what i was saying. Rocker well i haven't thought of going to those extents but why not lose a bottle a batch and in a year or two re-discover it a see how it goes!

I do have a couple of random bottles from old batches floating around the place but I don't think they'll be much chop compared to what I'm brewing now. The collection has just been built over time, saving my bottles from parties or whatever. And now I've decided I like Sierra Nevada stubbies better and am replacing the whole lot with those, which is such a chore... :lol:

I bottle the dregs of the fermenter from my all grain brews and put in an old esky. Every so often I drag it out from under the work bench where it's hidden and select a blast from the past. As stated by manticle 58% of the time it's awesome and 22% of the time not so. Mind you that is fermentor dregs.
Have just started bottling half a dozen or so stubbies before I keg, so in 3 months time my percentages may vary.

Ageing only works for shit beer. Good beer doesn't improve. :ph34r:

hoppy2B said:
Ageing only works for shit beer. Good beer doesn't improve. :ph34r:
I disagree. When it comes to bottling from primary/secondary it makes a massive difference.
I filter, keg , carbonate. So I get quality regardless.

I like my Belgian ales at around 4 weeks old. From 8 weeks on they decline pretty rapidly for my tastes.

vote for worst thread ever! Everyone quoting young beer Vs old beer without quoting which beer style.

Latest posts

Back