Ag Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutdrinker

Reaction score
My first posting on this forum but have been reading heaps over the last few weeks. My brews to date have all been extract with various adjuncts and have been good drinking but this site has convinced me that AG is the way to go. It seems that most brewers are pretty handy and have put together their kit with some scrounging, handywork & advice from each other. I've got a list of what I can make/convert but want to know how easy it is to get hold of old beer kegs to make a HLT & Pot as anything new seems very pricey. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I spoke to a chap the other day that said china town has some cheaper stock pots made of stainless. I'm yet to look but will be soon..Has anyone else looked there..??

Matt

stout drinker

Trya nd get yourself along to some SA AG Brewdays - you will learn heaps, meet good people and see some really cool equipment.

I am having an AG Day up at the BrewInn on the sunday October Long weekend - u r welcome up..

PM Me if you want details

stoutdrinker said:
want to know how easy it is to get hold of old beer kegs to make a HLT & Pot as anything new seems very pricey. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
[post="77688"][/post]​
welcome to the forum/obsession and congrats stoutdrinker on being member no.1500. :beerbang:

extremely difficult to legally obtain old kegs as they always remain the property of the brewery.

the cheaper option would be to get an aluminium pot. There is a myth that cooking with alumium pots causes alzheimers but this has been disproven. Many members on this board, much more experienced than I, use aluminium pots of 50/60 litre capacity for HLT and kettle with great success. I just cant remember who :blink:

Stainless Steel pots of the size required for full AG batches tends to be at a price that is prohibitive. Tho smaller 19 litre SS pots can be had cheaply from BIG W and the like for small batches or partials.

A 60 litre ali pot would prolly set you back close to $100 new.

Sometimes it'sworth aproaching the breweries for old kegs, Speights over here sell off kegs that are too dammaged for the filling machine for $25 bucks. I picked up two that had a bent spear holder, but were otherwise perfect

stout go to woodroffe equipment on cacan road cavan and get ur self an ali pot its about 80 bucks for a 60 litre pot

Thanks guys for your responses. GMK -you're right about the AG demos, unavailable for yours in oct but would like to know when you hold another. Jazman was right on the money with woodroofe out at cavan. Good prices on ss & ali pots. Have been trying to hunt down ex brewery kegs but with no joy so a trip to wooddroffe it shall be. I also came accross Paramount Browns selling 20L cubes - (not jerry cans) food grade used once only for $2 a piece! Not sure if the have threaded bungs for taps but I shall ring & check. Had hundreds by the look of things on their website.

roach said:
<snipped>
Many members on this board, much more experienced than I, use aluminium pots of 50/60 litre capacity for HLT and kettle with great success. I just cant remember who :blink:

[post="77698"][/post]​

Some mad brewer even has a 90litre ali pot. A brand new ali pot is a nice way to go, only thing they need to be kept clean if you want them to look there best, leaving the trub sit in it for days after a brew is not wise as it seems to pit the bottom of the pot.

anyway welcome to the forum and obession stouty, hopefully meet up sooner or later for a beer or 20.
Jayse

cool003.jpg

I'm putting together an AG set up too...

I was at the local pub on Thursday night and was talking to the manager about my AG plans, as conversation got on he gave me an empty keg! Even took the gas out of it for me!

Woo Hoo!

Jazzafish said:
I'm putting together an AG set up too...

I was at the local pub on Thursday night and was talking to the manager about my AG plans, as conversation got on he gave me an empty keg! Even took the gas out of it for me!

Woo Hoo!
[post="79191"][/post]​

Did that happen to be a large pub on a corner? I might have to drop by myself.

Well done Jazzafish you've scored well! Thats a good pick up for your AG kit.

It might become a popular local for homebrewers.

Back