Ag Pale Ale Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Ok all you AG'ers out there. I'm looking for the greatest ever pale ale. What's your favourite recipe? Any aware winners out there willing to share their secrets?

An APA with pale malt and 4 generous additions (60, 30, 15 & O minutes to go) of amalrillo hops came out good for me, be drinking that this summer, hmmmm

Jovial Monk

Wax,
I made the SFPA that jayse posted in the recipe section. Its a extract recipe. I used aabout 3 kilo of grain. I love it. Even a non beer drinker that tried it was impressed.

cheers

Here is whats's in my keg at the moment, i was trying for something in the style of old speckled hen.

4.33kg Maris otter 86.2%
400g British crystal 55L 8%
100g British dark crystal 1.8%
150g Torrified wheat 2%
150g Cane sugar. 2%

10g fuggles FWH
10g Pacific gem 14.7% 90 mins
25 fuggles 3.8% 15 mins
30g fuggles Dry hop for 12-14 days.
27 IBU's

My thermometer broke while mashing, so my last temp recorded was 68c. Mashed for 90 mins.

Boiled for 90 also. Cooled and pitched yeast, which was a healthy starter of White labs dry english ale yeast.

Came out beautiful, Nice malty flavour from the crystal, but a lot of hop flavour to balance it out, you can DEFINATELY taste the fuggles!!, just wish i had've used a hop bag, as its clogged me keg up a bit!!! :)

mje1980 said:
just wish i had've used a hop bag, as its clogged me keg up a bit!!! :)
No need, just use a GMK inline filter - otherwise known as the $3 filter used for watering systems.

Here is whats's in my keg at the moment, i was trying for something in the style of old speckled hen.

4.33kg Maris otter 86.2%
400g British crystal 55L 8%
100g British dark crystal 1.8%
150g Torrified wheat 2%
150g Cane sugar. 2%

10g fuggles FWH
10g Pacific gem 14.7% 90 mins
25 fuggles 3.8% 15 mins
30g fuggles Dry hop for 12-14 days.
27 IBU's

My thermometer broke while mashing, so my last temp recorded was 68c. Mashed for 90 mins.
Boiled for 90 also. Cooled and pitched yeast, which was a healthy starter of White labs dry english ale yeast.

Came out beautiful, Nice malty flavour from the crystal, but a lot of hop flavour to balance it out, you can DEFINATELY taste the fuggles!!, just wish i had've used a hop bag, as its clogged me keg up a bit!!! :)

Found this one in the archives. Can someone explain the10g fuggles FWH.

FWH = First Wort Hop.

These hops are put in the lauter receptacle, and steep in the running from the sparge, before being boiled for the wort.

Theoretically they add approximately the same bitterness as a 20 minute addition, and gives good flavour and aroma.

EDIT: Palmer on FWH

FWH = First Wort Hop.

These hops are put in the lauter receptacle, and steep in the running from the sparge, before being boiled for the wort.

Theoretically they add approximately the same bitterness as a 20 minute addition, and gives good flavour and aroma.

EDIT: Palmer on FWH
Just read the edit and have know cuaght on.

Cheers

:lol:

Lauter = getting the wort (hot, sweet liquid stuff), out of the mash.

Lauter receptacle = the container where you drain your mash to.

:lol:

Lauter = getting the wort (hot, sweet liquid stuff), out of the mash.

Lauter receptacle = the container where you drain your mash to.

:p :p :p You beat me to the reply button....

I got a 1st place in the pale ale catagory at the NSW state champs and a 4th at the AABC for a pale ale using 95% JW ale malt, 5% wheat

hopped it with POR only........... half FWH and the rest 60 min addition.

1.052, 27 IBU

It scorred about 127/150 i think

It was a great drop too.

brewed with 1318

cheers

Latest posts

Back