Ag Maiden Run

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Well it had to happen. Didn't quite have all the gear, still need a mill and a pump and was planning on about early March for my first AG. Then the curse of the drinking man reared it's ugly head. Work, WORK!!! Last minute call for help from Port Douglas, have to go manage a couple of resorts for a while. But, But, SWAMBO I haven't made my first AG yet!!!! Don't leave until 7th March! Maybe I can fit one in!!

A bit sooner than expected, but a push is probably what was needed. Bulk grain order from Batz still a way off so asked Bindi if I can borrow some until order arrives. He says "have just crushed a grain bill much the same as your planned brew, come around and collect it" now that is what I call a brew mate, Thanks Bindi.

Here's the run down.

7am switch on the HLT, filled the evening before.
Switched off HLT at 8.30am to take the car back to the Dealership, paid $400 plus yesterday - not fixed.
9am home again HLT back on.
9.20 measure 16L of water at strike temp of 72deg. Pour into Mash Tun and add grain, stirring so not to get dough balls (I'd hate to have doughy balls). Take temp, add 1.6L boiling water to achieve mash temp of 65
10.30am first runnings cleared after 5 litres, drained to kettle.
10.50am measure 15L of sparge water at 76deg and add to mash tun.
11am first of second runnings cleared after 2L , drained to kettle.
11.15 only 24L in kettle, added another 2.5L sparge water to mash tun and drain to kettle when clear. Now 26L in Boiler at SG 1.053 temp corrected
11.40 Light kettle burner.
12.15 Boiling add 60 min hops
12.45 Add 30 min hops
12.50 While kegging APA a tallie bottle explodes behind me under the brew bench, shit myself, glass everywhere, keg top was covered, maybe some in the wort.
12.52 Cleaning up glass, keg overflows, f*@k.
01pm add half whirlfloc tab
01.05 add 10 min hops and put chiller into boiling wort and light extra burner for quick recovery.
01.15 flame out
01.20 Chiller water on
01.22 Continue cleaning up glass and beer and bottle 4 bottles left over from kegging.
01.40 Wort at 29deg. Strained (in case of glass) 20L at OG 1.063 temp corrected into fermenter and put it to bed in the ferm fridge.
02.50pm Dealership calls, haven't found the problem with the car, but have stuffed the alternator, won't be ready till tomorrow.
03.30pm Finished cleaning up, rehydrated Saf US-56 and later fed it some cooled wort.
05pm Pitched at 27deg
05.30 Pour a beer and here I am.
AG VIRGIN NO LONGER, is this all there is, no secret induction no secret handshake, C'mon.

Well done Screwtop, 1.063 for your first AG souds like a real good day. Once you taste your first born AG, it's a taste you'll never forget.

Sounds like a typical AG day :D

10.50am measure 15L of sparge water at 76deg and add to mash tun.

You will need to heat your sparge water to 85 or higher to bring your mash temp up to 76C.

Well done Screwtop, I was there two month ago, haven't looked back.

Jye said:
You will need to heat your sparge water to 85 or higher to bring your mash temp up to 76C.

I though the grain hit with 85c water would leech tannins?

I though the grain hit with 85c water would leech tannins?

The mash will even the temp out to about 76deg after 30 sec or so.

Screwtop said:
still need a mill and a pump

LOL! Good to see some things never change Screwtop. :lol:

Have to admit pumps were unheard of 8 years ago though. :p

Well done!

Warren -

Jye said:
Sounds like a typical AG day :D

[post="107184"][/post]​

Thanks Jye, spot on. Found that I needed 92 in the HLT to achieve sparge temp of 75. That's because I am measuring the water using a 5l jug and tipping it into the mash tun. Have a sight glass and scale but unable to use this until I mount the HLT on a stand and can gravity feed for mash in and fly sparge.

Jye said:
The mash will even the temp out to about 76deg after 30 sec or so.

Cheers, I'm paranoid about for no reason then, will try that in future.

Pics of the days milestones.
Water Ready: WaterReady.JPG
Running Clear:RunningClear.JPG

An eventful day Screwtop :) What style were you brewing?

Very nice colour with your run off too.

PhilS said:
An eventful day Screwtop :) What style were you brewing?

Very nice colour with your run off too.
[post="107211"][/post]​

I Think it's a mongrel. Red Australian/American Ale

5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
0.50 kg Caramalt (Jow White) (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.1 %
0.50 kg Melanoiden Malt (Weyerman) (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.1 %
0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
50.00 gm Tettnang [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
25.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80%] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-56)

What do you think of the grain bill, tastes great and has a great red colour.

now all those packs of dried crap will seem like a pimple on a large ass :)
well done, do 10 more and revel in a new learned art.
and welcome to flavour country!

great stuff Screwtop, love you brewstand. glad you enjoyed your day.

Andrew

Well done :) I am proud of you :beer: I want your HLT <_< help me build it like yours this week...Please. Again WELL DONE

bindi said:
Well done :) I am proud of you :beer: I want your HLT <_< help me build it like yours this week...Please. Again WELL DONE
[post="107226"][/post]​

Could not have done it without your generosity Bob, thanks again. Happy to help build your HLT.

Congats Screwtop. I only did my first AG about a month ago myself. Similar sort of day you had. Also, good to see you and I 'bought' boiler stand at the same place.

Wait until you finally taste it. I've just started tasting mine now.

Cheers

Steve

Back