AG first timer - need a bit of help with my recipe (and someone to hol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
so Ive decided to go with this recipe on the wknd for my first all-grain-brewing-journey (dont stop believing)

Batch Size = 22L
OG 1.072 (70% efficiency)
EBC 60.6
IBU 25.2

60 minute 63C mash (Optional: do a 30min 55C protein rest with the wheat before the main mash):
4kg Weyermann Wheat
2kg Weyermann Pilsener malt
300g Weyermann Munich I
300g Weyermann Cararoma
200g Weyermann Caramunich I
100g Choc Wheat
100g Roasted Wheat

90 minute boil:
36g Tettnanger Pellets (4.5% A/A) for 90 mins
26g Tettnanger Pellets for 10 mins

WLP300 yeast or Wyeast 3068 - make a basic clean wheat beer first and repitch the Pikantus wort onto the fresh slurry to get decent attenuation - keep the wort under 19C to avoid excessive esters and bananas in the final product. You should try for a sub 1.015 FG. Best served after at least 4 weeks bulk conditioning.
It's by Trough Lolly and I dont think he's around here anymore.... but I could be wrong
I've already put up a couple posts about a few things using this recipe as an example, but now Ive decided to do it and I just wanted to clear a couple things up

1 - Im assuming the 4kg of Wheat would be malted Wheat yeah? it seems like too much to be unmalted....
2 - I cant find roasted wheat anywhere.... can I use roasted barley? Or would the taste be too different?
3 - I may decide to do this BIAB style, but if I do it traditional style - would a regular infusion mash be ok?
4 - The recipe mentions a protein rest for the wheat, does that mean giving it a 30min 55c rest on its own before adding the rest of the grain to mash at 63c for a further 60min?
5 - Is 2.5L water per kilo of grain gonna be a good ratio for this recipe?
6- Last one! Im gonna use the WLP300 slurry from a hefe that im brewing and Im trying to get a figure from MrMalty's yeast calculator thing and i dunno which beer type to use - im using the lager setting and getting roughly 250mls as my yeast pitching qty, am I doin it right? (im downsizing to a 20L batch btw)

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks in advance!

Simplest question first. What are you wanting to brew? It kinda looks like a hefeweizen, but a pretty complicated version of one. Do you want something like a Paulaner/Weihenstephan/Schoffer style of hefe?

Its supposed to be a dunkler weizenbock/dark wheat beer - it was TL's attempt at an Erdinger pikantus clone

I know its not a basic recipe for a first timer, but Im sure I can pull it off... or at least Ill have fun trying :p

philistine said:
Its supposed to be a dunkler weizenbock/dark wheat beer - it was TL's attempt at an Erdinger pikantus clone

I know its not a basic recipe for a first timer, but Im sure I can pull it off... or at least Ill have fun trying :p
Good luck to you mate! I just did my 2nd AG and honestly.. make Dr Smurto's or something similar and use it to get used to your equipment and such.

If not, I have faith and good luck! :beerbang:

Haha, thanks. I kinda made all the equipment so I got familiar with when testing it out for leaks etc. but yeah.... I've always been a straight in the deep end person ;)

Still can't find choc wheat or roasted wheat at any of the local places - any suggestions anyone?

Such a high O.G beer for your first? If it was my first I would be aiming for like a 1.040 to 1.060 beer, the higher O.G will affect a lot of your numbers and you want to try lock down your efficiency as soon as you can, so you can start getting the right amount of grain for future brews.

Couple of tips:

1: If it is your first AG brew then stick to a single infusion at around 65 degrees. I'm not suggesting a protein rest isn't necessary, it is just going to make things more difficult for you on your first attempt.

2: Roast barley isn't a substitue for roast wheat. Dark wheat or some extra chocolate wheat would be the way to go.

3: If you're using WLP300 then it is an ale, so use the ale pitching rate calculator.

4: Don't over think it too much. Heat your water, add you grain, mash, sparge (if you're doing one at all) and boil. Chill or put in a no chill cube and ferment at your leisure.

Simples

JD.

It looks like a good recipe, but being your first I would do what Simon would and keep it simple, even for the first few. It can be a tad daunting jumping into AG even with the simplest of recipes. And with your gear it's like driving a new car, it'll take a lot of k's to get the feel of it, but you seemed pretty determined and eager to learn so good luck. Let us know how your brew day goes and the beer tastes!!!

Jump in. My first AG was my own recipe, mashed in an esky and boiled between two pots on a woodfired weber. Threw half the wort on the ground, hops didn't change, brewed a very bitter beer which I then blended with a lower hopped version of the same beer. Was delicious and I was super proud drinking it.

Just learn while you do it and relate the learning to your results (and vice versa). High OG, low OG, doesn't matter as long as you have the basics of fermentation (which is where high gravity is really going to matter - mash wise, it's just more grain).

70% eff.is high for your first all grain brew,if you hit that good luck to you.
A 7kg grain bill is more than I've ever done.
I've never done k&k I jumped strait into biab,keg system. The one thing that I learnt from my friend was to keep it simple.
If your confident with that recipe then go for it but by the questions you asking a easier recipe would be better.
As for repitching that yeast I feel it's silly as your going to have a hard enough time finding out and improving faults as it is with such a complicated recipe.
My 2.34675 cents.

So - today was brew day

Decided to do the mash in 2 batches to make it easier (7kg of grain is a lot)
So I did the wheat first with the 55c protein rest and then the other half of the bill as normal and combined the two for the boil.
Pre-boil gravity was 1.054 and there was probably about 25 litres. I took a bit of a punt and chucked in 450gms DME and put it on the boil.

When the boil timer was done it had boiled down to pretty much exactly 20 liters (complete fluke) and gravity reads 1.072 exactly!

and now.. the wait.... might pop over to dan murphys... fucken thirsty now

Back