Ag Equip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimy frog

Reaction score
Hi

Great site.

I have been reading the AHB forums for a couple of weeks now, but I've only just decided to post. Although to date I've only done a handful of kits (a couple of years ago), I'd like to move on to AG.

I've been trying to source some equipment for an AG setup and would appreciate any input. I'm located in Sydney (north west) and have dropped into 2 different HBS and I must say that they both were extremely unhelpful. In fact they really didn't want to answer any questions and one of them was quite abnoxious, which is quite puzzling as I made it quite clear I wanted to spend around $1000 to get started with AG. In any case they shall both remain nameless. I'm trying to source the following equipment. I'd appreciate any suggestions in regards to where I can pick these up in sydney.

1. HLT and kettle. I've looked at a 40L SS pot and the cheapest I have found is $375 each. Is this right?? I really don't want to go for plastic or Al. What other alternatives are there?
2. 30-40L round esky/cooler for the mash tun
3. Proble thermometers
4. Counterflow chiller
5.weld-b-gone type of fittings
6. gas burners

Do people buy any equipment from the States (eg morebeer.com) and what are your experiences.

Oh and finally any recommendations for a "friendly" HBS?

Thanks

SF

Hi SF,
The other alternative for a HLT or boiler is a converted beer keg but if you use the more modern ones they are the property of the breweries.
Really nothing wrong with aluminium - Globe Importers in Adelaide have a good range. I paid $150.00 for a 90 litre pot last week. Globe also have the best burners for brewing at a very cheap price. They are called Turkey fryers or Nasa burners if you are local.

Goliath Brewing in Adelaide have round eskies that are ideal for mash tuns and they are very well priced. They also have counterflow chillers as do Grumpy's as well.

You can use bulkhead fittings either stainless or brass for your "weld be gone" and probes for temp are available from various suppliers depending on what type you want.

It appears that the best HB shops for AG are in Adelaide although Grain and Grape in Vic seem pretty good. I dont know what is available in NSW.
The Adelaide shops are all very experienced and very competitive.

Cheers

SF,

Sounds more like you want to build a brewery rather than "Just" move to AG.

What about a 30-40 lt hot water urn? for the HLT.(Dial in Temp)

Im going for a 50lt "Esky" brand rectangular esky for a mash tun(Larger and cheaper than the keep cold round coolers. Round 36lt for $90/ Rectangle 50lt for $80)

As for the boiler .........welllll ;)

hi slimy frog welcome to the site of wide and varied brewers.

i will go out on a limb here and say..if the hb shops dont want to help ...name them and shame them.
maybe a bit of adverse publicity may make them wake up to what the modern day brewer wants and demands.we arent all kit and kilo brewers anymore.we want and seek more advice and experience.ag is the pinnacle of homebrewing so come on board or get out of the game.sure you will always have the died in the wool k/k brewer i know heaps of them and there happy but there are a lot of brewers that want to go the extra step in brewing and knowledge.
oops rambling a bit.
ag gear in good old oz is generally scabbed/begged or borrowed and made up and as for good hb shops there is plenty.naming a few with out prejudice goliaths,grumpys,jovial monk,grain and grape,northern districts brewing etc the list goes on.

what ever you choose best of luck as i think most ag guys on this site have perused the net looked at squillions of photos and come up with what they can score and have built great brewing systems.its part of the fun and at the end of the day all make great beer.

cheers
big d

Thanks for the replies.

Linz, do you know where I can find a 40L hot water urn and round esky/cooler. Preferably in Sydney?

Big d, I don't see any point in naming and shaming these HBS. I'd like to think that they are trying their best to make a buck and were having a bad day when I dropped in. In any case I won't be going back to either of the stores.

It looks as though, I might have to get some of the stuff from adelaide.

Any other suggestions

cheers

SF

Froggie,

Different shops have different focuses. I bet if you went and asked k&k questions, from the two shops you have already been to, they would jump to attention.

A few shops to go and check out.

The shop in the Blue Mountains, Faulconbridge, run by Pat Casey. Has some of the fittings and bits and pieces. Pat runs mashing demos from time to time.

ESB at Peakhurst, run by Mel. Has plenty of grain and some stuff for mashing.

Another shop Peakhurst Homebrew on Henry Lawson drive.

The guys in Wollongong are sourcing from somewhere down there. Also, the Canberra people have a very active AG component and source their gear from somewhere there.

You will not source everything you want from these shops.

G&G have an excellent range of gear and books.

Plus the sites in Adelaide. PLus overseas sites.

Keep reading and researching. Everyone's brewery is a mix of what they scrounged, what was given to them and what they could afford.

Mine has gone from partial mash gear, through bucket in bucket, 23 litre all stainless to finally 45 litre all stainless.

I'll be near you somewhere (Baulkham Hills) and Gerard from Northern Districts Brewing has been a great assistance to me so far in my AG adventures. Delivers to your door and I know he supplies a few other guys on this forum.

Good luck - Duff.

ESB in Sydney will help you

I bought a KeepCold 36L esky for $76 from a Mitre 10 shop, simple copper manifold or braided ss hose manifold etc and you have a mash tun. I don't like aluminium, haunt some caterer supply places you should be able to get a 50L ss pot for $150-odd. Scour the For Sale classified ads in the SMH, Trading Post etc to find a nice 30L thermostatically controlled urn.

I currently use my kettle for both kettle and HLT, it works but I would rather find a decent 30L urn. Oh and haunt your local bakeries and fish and chippies untill you can buy a couple 10L and 20L food grade plastic buckets with lids, handy to have around, I collect my wort in them.

Jovial Monk

Froggie,
The urn can usually be sourced from a Kitchen supply store.The Birko urns have a distributor at Belfield(cheapest for new). If you have access to a Corporate Express account they can get one to you too.
The "keep cold" round coolers can be bought from AFD camping stores, at around the $90 mark. Or from the distributor "Kookaburra gas and camping" at Smithfield. They were VERY hesitant to offer any price and directed me to AFD store if I were to purchase.

I am in the same predicament as you, but i'll put forward ND brewing. The last time i dealt with them the price and advice was both good.

I can give you some suggestions-

BIG W has a rubbermaid 32 L esky for $39.88 at Macquarie Centre, and therefore i'll assume at all the other Big W stores, or 44 L Willow quickserve for $56.72. I haven't seen much in the way of good places for gas burners etc, but i have found birko immersion element for possible use in HLT 2400 watts for $39 bucks at Bunnings warehouse, (or in my case i got it for $30 on random chance), also try rays outdoors at camperdown.

For plumbing try bunnings and a plumbing supply store like reeces.

Also if your buying from adelaide etc bulk buy to get the cheapest possible postage

Keep us posted

Will

(PS where are u located, i'm in gladesville)

Latest posts

Back