Ag Brewing Fermentation Lag Time Much Less.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
So iv done my first AG brew (BIAB) and i pitched some Safale S-33 today at around 11am

I airated pouring from the cube to the fermenter then using my mash paddle i stirred it furiously for around a minute then pitched directly ontop of the foam then gave it a shake 30 mins later, straight into the ferm fridge dropped it from 24 to 19c

i have a nice big Krauzen and a lot of activity going on so early....

Wondering if it has to do with the sugars being fresher than when you make a kit or extract?

Next brew i am going to use some wYeast and get onto the path of better beers but with a lag time of less than 8 hours i'm happy with how this yeast has kicked in.

BIAB has sold me 10 times i will never do another kit or extract again....... whats the point when BIAB is so easy :)

I don't believe it has anything to do with fresh sugar. There may be better nutrients in the biab. The other possibility is that the tap water used for a kit brew may a fair bit of chlorine in it making the yeast less healthy and making it multiply at slower rates. somewhat related but the pH levels in your wort may be better.

I think it is probably process related as opposed to a clear preference of the yeast for biab wort to dehydrated then rehydrated wort.

Could just be the yeast itself, but I have little experience with s-33

...but with a lag time of less than 8 hours i'm happy with how this yeast has kicked in.

You may be getting all excited over nothing. For a start, 8 hours isn't that fast. When I did kit n kilo / kits n bits some times the lag time was a short as half an hour and sometimes as long as 24 hours. There are so many factors that determine lag time that have nothing to do with the way you get your wort.

Oh I'm bloody excited haha it's like getting the bug all over again :)

I'm used of waiting upto 24/36h for any krauzen to form up and even then it's usually weak and not very active, however my first fresh wort kit from gg was very fast and active large healthy krauzen etc....

Eager to do my next brew

Jamil said on one of his shows that a Krauzen that starts after a day/day & a half is no more disadvantages or less healthier that a Kruazen that takes of earlier.

Jamil said on one of his shows that a Krauzen that starts after a day/day & a half is no more disadvantages or less healthier that a Kruazen that takes of earlier.
I'm reading his 'Yeast' book now... it is written, and I paraphrase, that within any one strain of yeast a shorter lag time is a sign of yeast that display more positive vitality and viability properties.

So unless his quote that you've pulled from his show is discussing two different strains of yeast, it seems he has contradicted himself (or Chris White disagrees with him).

Were you using the kit yeast when you were brewing using kits or extracts? That may explain the long lag times you experienced.

A shorter lag time is a sign of yeast that display more positive vitality and viability properties.

That's probably misinterpretation Spiesy. The caller on the show was concerned about his 24/36hr yeast Krausen V's other brewers achieving in under 12hrs. Jamil was putting his mind at ease saying the lag time isn't going to produce any other non desirable flavours or effects. But as your quote, the health and viability of the yeast is different entirely.

Back