Ag Brewery Capacity Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

As I am in end stages of putting together my AG setup :super: I sat down to calculate what my capability's will be with regards to volumes and grain bills and ended up in excel. Once I started it snowballed and I figured it could be a useful tool for others to see what they need for their goals or to see what they might be able to squeeze out of their current setup. A few assumptions have been made to keep it simple as are listed on the spreadsheets but it should give ballpark figures.

View attachment Brewery_Capacity_Calculator2.xls

Solid yellow cells are your brewery variables and the red cells tell if your requirements are achievable with the gear you nominated. Also included are a couple of calculators for the metric/imperial things.
Give it a go and give me some feedback on values that might need adjusting. (ie have put 30% boil kettle headspace in as a guess at this stage, most others are calculated) Wet grain volume is from Promash so should be accurate. I might add in a few more variable inputs like mash ratios etc down the track.

Hope it all makes sense and someone finds it useful.

Look forward to any further suggestions

Borret :blink:

Looks quite useful. It means a potential masher still has to calculate what amount of grain they need though, when it would be more flexible if the input was og and batch size, and you back calculated grain amount assuming an efficiency. The it would a simple look up of what strength beer can be achieved at a particular batch size.

I don't know why Promash uses % boiloff as the default. It doesnt really matter if you have a standard batch size, but my batch size is anywhere from 20 to 45 l and over that range a fixed rate per hour is a much better fit to actual losses.

Guest Lurker said:
Looks quite useful. It means a potential masher still has to calculate what amount of grain they need though, when it would be more flexible if the input was og and batch size, and you back calculated grain amount assuming an efficiency. The it would a simple look up of what strength beer can be achieved at a particular batch size.

I don't know why Promash uses % boiloff as the default. It doesnt really matter if you have a standard batch size, but my batch size is anywhere from 20 to 45 l and over that range a fixed rate per hour is a much better fit to actual losses.
[post="66814"][/post]​

GL,

I thought about the gravity but it depends on your system and efficiency. I surpose I could put in a coloumn that estimates potential gravity at 75% efficiency for the nominated bill and batch size. I was also avoiding it due to different grain potential. This gives a more real world estimate if people are looking at recipes and what they 'physically need'.
I hear what you say about the boil off. I had often wondered myself. But without knowing your potential system this gives a bit of a safe estimate.

Thanks for the input

Borret

Borret said:
Guest Lurker said:

[post="66814"][/post]​

GL,

I thought about the gravity but it depends on your system and efficiency. I surpose I could put in a coloumn that estimates potential gravity at 75% efficiency for the nominated bill and batch size. I was also avoiding it due to different grain potential. This gives a more real world estimate if people are looking at recipes and what they 'physically need'.
I hear what you say about the boil off. I had often wondered myself. But without knowing your potential system this gives a bit of a safe estimate.

Thanks for the input

Borret
[post="66816"][/post]​

Gravity now added. Pretty sure it's right for approx. figures. Correct me if I'm wrong. You can change the system efficiency.

View attachment Brewery_Capacity_Calculator2.xls

Cheers

Borret :blink:

Question: would it be a good idea to have a category, or subcatergory, for threads that deal exlusively with brewing software, calculation spreadsheets and other brewing apps? This could include sharing things you've made, links to downloads, or software specific discussion.

Latest posts

Back