AG brewers Up Gippsland way?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
Whilst I enjoy the solitude and the time out brewing allows me (busy work/family life), I often think it would be good to have a local to catch up with now and again.

At the moment I seem to be detecting very slight off tastes that are coming through in every beer, despite most variables changing (ie different grain bill, different/new yeast, no water chemical additions this time, even different water supply [moved house]). Comparing the taste to any of the known defects gets me nowhere as it doesn't fit any of them (it's a kind of salty taste that has a chemical edge to it and tends to linger on the back of the roof of the mouth). In this particular brew (which I just tasted a 1.016 sample of from the fermenter) the taste is more subtle than in the past few batches.

The best i can get out of my mates who are happy to drink free beer is "seems alright to me" etc I know I have a sensitive pallate and if I were brewing for my mates I wouldn't care (as they don't), but I drink 80% of my own brews, so I want to figure out what it is I'm detecting and fix it!

Any AG brewers (I've done kits etc and the taste journey is a completely different path) in the LV area or what? Any wannabe or would-be AG brewers thinking about getting into it even?
I put a feeler out a year or so ago and had a dig around the craft beer community, but everyone from the area was a kit brewer (which is better than nothing, so still chime in) OR just an enthusiastic drinker, or just not from the area.

Cheers

Y' poor *******! My wife's family are from Warragul but we're in the city I'm afraid. I get out to Yarram sometimes for the odd working bee on a mates farm but I'm usually flat out.

I've not met any of the extended friends / family who are into brewing but I'll look you up if I hear of one.

I'm a bit the same - ie I could do with a mate who actually understands WTF I'm talking about but I'm just too lazy to join a club or reach out for help. Other priorities seem to get in the way. The usual ones food, money, personal hygiene, the "W" word, raising children etc. AHB is pretty cool though, beats TV (although there is a craft brewing show on ch' 31 tonight at 9).

The W word and children are good reasons to join a club! Gotta maintain a sense of self. There aren't any brewing clubs out this way though and you can see why - not enough interest. I'm surprised the local home brew store (I only go there to pick up dry yeast and hops if needed on the day) keeps itself running with the Gippsland stereotypical brewer more than happy with the $12 coopers offerings at Big W.

The bloke that got me into brewing is an extreme miser who thinks I've taken all the good out of home brewing (economics) and he's sinced stopped brewing altogether and it is now a topic that we never talk about together anymore. It's a bit sad, but things could be worse: I could still be paying premium prices for imported session beers

Im from Paynesville but unfortunately done get home very often. Next time I'm on the way home maybe we can do bottle swap.

G'day mate,just noticed that there 's other brewers around the LV area,good to hear i thought i was the only AG brewer down here,moved down 3 years ago from melbourne and would be keen to catch up for a beer,brewsession or beerswap.Have been doing AG since start of 08', i try and brew a batch about every 3 weeks,not easy with a young family.I have recently bought a mill and started buying grain in bulk,it's good not having to pay to get stuff sent out anymore.

Charst said:
Im from Paynesville but unfortunately done get home very often. Next time I'm on the way home maybe we can do bottle swap.
Hey mate, sounds good - I'll have to sort out a counter-pressure filler for such an occasion.

TimL said:
G'day mate,just noticed that there 's other brewers around the LV area,good to hear i thought i was the only AG brewer down here,moved down 3 years ago from melbourne and would be keen to catch up for a beer,brewsession or beerswap.Have been doing AG since start of 08', i try and brew a batch about every 3 weeks,not easy with a young family.I have recently bought a mill and started buying grain in bulk,it's good not having to pay to get stuff sent out anymore.
Hey - I only switched to AG a couple of years ago and have slowly migrated from BAIB to 3v. I'm also raising a young family (2 boys under 3), enough said haha. I moved in March so things have been pretty hectic with getting settled in and in the process the brewing went on the back burner - I may have even allowed a couple of full kegs to get infected by leaving the cobra taps connected. I'm looking forward to refilling a few kegs either way.

I'm still procuring the final bits and pieces to have my 3V system good to go, after which point I'll have the ability to brew more frequently (more autonomous process/more time) and may even be keen in grain pooling. You know what they say, you don't make friends with salad, but you do with a grain mill :p

I'm over in Lesswell but work in Traralgon. Good on you for registering here and chiming in! We miss out on a lot of the sense of community out here.

I am a kit brewer but I am setting myself up to do all grain. I would be keen to catch up with other all grain brewers as this would assist me in learning how to brew with all grain but compare my beer with others.

I live in Traraglon and would be keen to meet up or even start up a home brew club in the Latrobe Valley.

Let me know if your interested and we can catch up for a beer.

G'day iralosavic and mickale,i posted on here back in may but have been a slackarse since in getting back to you guys,interested to see if you still wanted to catch up for a brew /beer .Anyway i'm planning on brewing this sunday arvo,just a basic english pale ale.I've also currently got a english pale and a esb on tap and some bottled stout if ya interested. Tim L

Back