After Washing Bottles, Do They Need To Dry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gybrid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I use bottle washing powder (alkaline salts -97.5%).. I wash out the bottles then rinse...

Should I wait until they've dried before bottling or is it okay to bottle straight after, with water deposits still in the bottles.

Thanks

Jase

as long as they're rinsed well it shouldnt be a prob.
also the longer the time between cleaning and bottling the more chance nasty stuff has of getting back into the bottles so sooner the better

I put my bottles through one shot. Give a quick rinse then put upside down on the dish drainer until ready to bottle (~10min).

I just rinse with tap water, havent had any problems with this.

dougy

would tap water be ok? I know there is possibly enough alcohol in the beer to deal with any bugs, but I was worried about chlorine in unboiled water.

One shot, and the "Terminater" version I sell for $5.95, and iodofor are no-rinse sanitisers. Terminater is OK to use while the bottles are still wet. I add to bottles, swirl and pour back into bucket the Terminater solution then fill the bottle with beer. Iodofor needs to dry first, dunno why anybody would use that.

Jovial Monk

Hey JM,

I tried out your method (Pliers and other hand) to dismantle the taps on the weekend.
Gotta say its heaps easier than the banging a spoon up inside the tap like I'd been doing earlier. Thanks for the tip mate! :rolleyes:

dougy

Great, doughy!

I didn't invent the method but forgot who did

Glad to help any brewer!

JM

Jovial_Monk said:
Iodofor needs to dry first, dunno why anybody would use that.
Why do you say it needs to dry JM? In terms of what ends up in your beer bottle there's going to be no difference whether it's wet or the solution has evaporated to dryness...

The only thing that you have to be careful about is that when an iodophor solution dries it loses its germicidal activity.

Because every single description I have seen of the use of iodophor says to drip-dry the container or item that was sanitised.

I decided I did not want iodine in my beer so I use Terminater

Jovial Monk

Whilst using Iodofor my beers always had a weird taste way off in the background, not enough to make it undrinkable , but disconcerting none the less, after switching to Orthophosphoric acid the weird taste was gone. I love the stuff. But a run through a very hot dishwasher cycle is my current preferred method. Run the cycle then keep machine closed until ready to bottle. Haven't had any problems with this method......just wish I had room for kegs!

Mikem,
During a recent discussion in this forum on sanitation, somebody posted a link to another site where a "taste test " was carried out with idophor. This bloke lined up his mates and fed them beer dosed with varying levels of idophor and whilst its presence was obvious in heavy concentrations, when used correctly, nobody could pick it.
I cant find the link now, but perhaps sombody will remember it. It was less than amonth ago

Here's another link:
http://www.brewersconnection.com/Iodophor.html

It's quite a lengthy read, so here's the summary:

Summary

Both testers easily detected iodophor in distilled water when the level of iodophor was 4 times "normal".

Neither tester could find the iodophor in distilled water at twice the "normal level".

Neither tester could detect iodophor contamination in SNPA at 8 times the "normal level".

NOTE: by "normal level", I mean the amount of iodophor that would be present when draining, (but not air-drying), a carboy as described earlier in this article.

I use iodophor frequently on both fermenters and bottles. Never had an iodine taste. I let the bottles drip dry on an iodophor sterilised bottle tree.

Back