Aeration With Dry Yeast/ Belgian Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday guys
Just doughed in for my first attempt at a Belgian when it occured to me I have no idea when to add the candy sugar? Mash, boil or flame out? I am suspecting flameout, but figure someone else with more experience in these matters can help.
Second, I am using the saf s-33 dried yeast for it. I have heard that dried yeast carries its own nutrients and doesnt need to be aerated for. I have been using liquids for a year or so now, and aerate alot with every batch. Do I need to do it for dry yeast, or will it make no difference?
Thanks in advance
Trent

Add the candy sugar 5 minutes from flame out to dissolve it.

Dried yeast has built-in nutrients and energy reserves and supposedlydoesn't require aeration.
I'd still recommend a bit of wort splashing, just to be sure you reach FG and attain clean flavours.

Pitching rate is more important though, 0.5 gram/litre for a normal strength ale (under ~ 1.055), double the rate if above that.

Rehydrating is good practice too.

tdh

Thanks for the info, tdh. I only have .5g/L to pitch, unfortuantely, so I will just aerate like a madman, to at least give it a bit more of a chance. Fingers crossed, I guess!
All the best
Trent

trent, dried yeast is super saturated with O2 when it is dried, thats why it generally kiks in faster than liquid yeast....but its a good practice to airiate the wort as its going into the fermenter anyway, if you are not using pure O2 you can not over do it

Latest posts

Back