Aerating Your Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wozza

Reaction score
I bought a handgun style gizmo for the garden hose recently. It has to be the best thing ever for cleaning out your equipment. Really high pressure narrow jet for removing those stuck on bits and pieces and cleaning bottles and a fine spray for rinsing all the gear.

But does it ever aerate your wort! I had to top up a brew after boiling and cooling on the weekend. I set the hose to the narrowest jet and fired it in from a decent hight and ended up with so much froth you wouldn't believe.

Added 2/3 phial of liquid yeast (I'd forgotten to make a starter and wanted to keep some back to proagate) and it was going gang-busters in less than 16 hours. Go you good thing!

Hi
Ive never used the hose for topping up my fermenter,I thought it might harbour a lot of bacteria let us know how the brew turns out.
Regards
Andrew

Wozza, this is how I aerate the wort too. You get so much froth, I usually have to let it die down and top up again a couple of times to get up to 23 litres. And you do get a very prompt start to airlock activity.

My wife also uses that nozzle to fill up the fish pond so I do a couple of things to avoid infection and suss flavours.

Firstly, I take the nozzle apart and soak it in a jug of sanitiser for a few minutes, twisting the adjustable part from one extreme to the other while immersed in the solution. I also coil the last 18 inches of hose in the jug for good measure.

Secondly I water the lawn or something first for about 5-10 minutes to get some fresh water running and rinse out anything that might have bugs in it or tastes remotely like garden hose.

As i am only an extract brewer and i top up my brews, i chuck the fermenter in the laundry sink and crank it in with the cold water.. goes great guns :)

Yep, same practise as you GSR, except I actually put mine in the bath. We have really good water pressure here and so the foam/aeration is excellent.

Shawn.

Yeah, me too. Though, with my high gravity brews, I put them through a second aeration by running it from one fermenter into another over a meter drop. I then give it a massive frothing stir with a long spoon.

Back