Advise/insight On Problem With New Stainless 50l Pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adraine

Reaction score
I have slowly been collecting equipment for my my 3v system & have purchased 2 x 50l stainless pots which were supposedly 18/10 food grade stainless. I have had these in storage for almost 12 months while ive been saving for my other items. I got my burner early last week & thought ill crank this baby up and see how long it takes to reach certain temps and how good of a rolling boil i can get i can get. Anyway probably about 15mins into the boil i get these lines appearing on the inside base of my pots.

Have a look and tell me what you think but it looks to me as if the base has been sandwiched together by strips of metal then spun to smooth out.

These are of the inside of the pot while/after draining the water.
Tough_Camera_094.jpg
Tough_Camera_102.jpg

This is a close up of the inside base before i have touched it.
Tough_Camera_099.jpg
Tough_Camera_100.jpg

These are close ups after i have rubbed it with a old tshirt.
Tough_Camera_106.jpg
Tough_Camera_107.jpg
Tough_Camera_108.jpg

This is the outside base of the pot
Tough_Camera_096.jpg
Tough_Camera_097.jpg

This is the 2nd pot i haven't touched yet.
Tough_Camera_093.jpg
Tough_Camera_092.jpg
Tough_Camera_090.jpg
Tough_Camera_081.jpg

Needless to say im very disappointed and have contacted the vendor.
Ill keep you all updated as to my progress.

The more I see the more I fall in love with my robinox

Just about to order a 98L off this crowd.
Can anyone suggest a better quality cheap pot?

Thats what ill be buying when i get my money back fromthese blokes

I got mine from BeerBelly, think I got it for slightly cheaper than the web price too.

I have slowly been collecting equipment for my my 3v system & have purchased 2 x 50l stainless pots which were supposedly 18/10 food grade stainless. I have had these in storage for almost 12 months while ive been saving for my other items. I got my burner early last week & thought ill crank this baby up and see how long it takes to reach certain temps and how good of a rolling boil i can get i can get. Anyway probably about 15mins into the boil i get these lines appearing on the inside base of my pots.

Have a look and tell me what you think but it looks to me as if the base has been sandwiched together by strips of metal then spun to smooth out.

Needless to say im very disappointed and have contacted the vendor.
Ill keep you all updated as to my progress.

I was an aircraft sheetie for 8 years and can't say I've ever seen anything like that, as you say, it looks like strips joined together but I can't think how they would have done it. I'd be more inclined togo with a shitty manufacturing process, hope you don't have too much grief getting your money back cause you surely deserve it.

-BD

I was an aircraft sheetie for 8 years and can't say I've ever seen anything like that, as you say, it looks like strips joined together but I can't think how they would have done it. I'd be more inclined togo with a shitty manufacturing process, hope you don't have too much grief getting your money back cause you surely deserve it.

-BD

I sent them an email this morning & they have responded already so hopefuly thats a good sign.

I'd "hazard" a guess that the rollers used to make the stainless sheet were plain steel with some damage on them and they have rolled fragments of plain steel into the stainless sheet which then rusts real fast.

If they don't replace them (they should) take to them with a stainless steel scrubby, make sure it is a stainless one and scrub out all the rust. Then get some stainless pickle from a welding supply store and apply it. Should fix it up pronto, unless the plain steel is so mixed in with the stainless you cannot get deep enough with the stainless scrubby.

I'd "hazard" a guess that the rollers used to make the stainless sheet were plain steel with some damage on them and they have rolled fragments of plain steel into the stainless sheet which then rusts real fast.

If they don't replace them (they should) take to them with a stainless steel scrubby, make sure it is a stainless one and scrub out all the rust. Then get some stainless pickle from a welding supply store and apply it. Should fix it up pronto, unless the plain steel is so mixed in with the stainless you cannot get deep enough with the stainless scrubby.

This i could understand if the lines were spaced uniformly, however these are spaced really randomly and are quite fine as if they are cracks/seams

But ill give it a go with the scrubby's

Well I have a second pot I haven't even used yet. So they will have to refund/replace both. Just glad I didn't drill & weld in my sockets yet.

This i could understand if the lines were spaced uniformly, however these are spaced really randomly and are quite fine as if they are cracks/seams

But ill give it a go with the scrubby's

What it's more likely to be is that at some part of the polishing process, they've used some abrasive that's also been used on a non-stainless steel and that's embedded particles into the metal that then begin to corrode. The give-away is the blue halo around the scratch. My Handy Imports pot has a couple of similar scratches, but they're very much smaller and follow the direction of the polishing scratches. I just keep scrubbing at them with a scotchbrite and they're slowly going away.

I didn't bother taking it up with Handy Imports because I knew what they were, and they were so minor it wasn't worth the effort of trying to return the pot.

Yours on the other hand...

Heard back from them yet?

What it's more likely to be is that at some part of the polishing process, they've used some abrasive that's also been used on a non-stainless steel and that's embedded particles into the metal that then begin to corrode. The give-away is the blue halo around the scratch. My Handy Imports pot has a couple of similar scratches, but they're very much smaller and follow the direction of the polishing scratches. I just keep scrubbing at them with a scotchbrite and they're slowly going away.

I didn't bother taking it up with Handy Imports because I knew what they were, and they were so minor it wasn't worth the effort of trying to return the pot.

Yours on the other hand...

Heard back from them yet?

Yeah joe from handy import go back to me today actually. He was after more info for his supplier. Eg what I put in it, how long I cooked it for, if th 2nd pot was the same etc. they seem to be following it up and getting back to me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. However I won't be suprised if it all falls over. I know I should give them the Benifit of the doubt but I have been burnt from eBay before.
I hear what your saying about polishing but mine seem to be spun polished or something as all of the marks are circular. But the rust line are straight and parallel

Cheers ad.

Back