Advice Requested!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glolite

Reaction score
gday guys,
im sure you are all sick of these type of questions but if u wouldnt mind helping out as im sure u are the right guys to ask.
brewed my first 2 can mix of tooheys from the supermarket as i did some reading on grumpys, just wanted something to put on quickly. anyways the SG was 1.050 and i did a test just then 7 days on and the reading was 1.016, now i was hoping for something closer to 1.008 or 6 as im not too fond of a sweet beer. so my delema is when to rack to secondary? or is there anything more i can to to help it drop a little bit more? i was going to rack to secondary after 10 days.
thanks for any advice
josh

Let it sit for another couple of days and take another reading.........and get it off any heat source.

Or rack it now and then leave it for 2 weeks.

1.016 doesn't necessarily mean it will be sweet. Many of my beers finish around that mark, and aren't sweet. The malt/hop balance affects sweetness/bitterness.

How do the samples taste?

Wreck.

You have done a two can brew , don't expect the FG that you would obtain with a kit and kilo , yours will read higher due to the extra malt.
I would guess you are around what to expect , and I don't think you will find it to sweet

Having said this , Linz is spot on , sit it for a bit longer 9-10 days will not hurt , and as Linz says , if you have a spare fermenter try racking it , if not don't get too stressed.

As far as questions , there is not a brewer on this site that will not help you out , don't be afraid to ask any questions , we all started out sometime

Cheers Batz

Sorry wreck ,
I did'nt see you reply before I posted , spot on

yep thanks all for the help,
the last brew i did was all malt, and ended about 1.012 and seemed to have a sweetish malt taste which i thought may have been to the yeast not fully fermenting out. i gave it a taste and its bitter which is what i expected, but still sweet initially then bitterness takes over if that makes sense.
anyways ill leave it in primary for another 3 or 4 days then put in secondary for a week or 2
cheers for the help

What Batz said. I wouldn't go expecting 1008 from a toucan, especially when using the kit yeast. Throw me in the camp that says waiting a bit longer won't hurt, though.

Latest posts

Back