Advice On Solder On Immersion Chiller Please....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symphony1975

Reaction score
hi

just had our immersion chiller modified with more copper coils. a plumber mate cut the existing chiller, added more copper and re soldered it, he used 2% silver solder and didnt use flux. i believe lead isnt an issue because its not used by plumbers when soldering potable water joins (so i am told).

this is a pic of a solder join from the dude that made it:

P1070039.jpg

nice and clean job and very silver looking!

this is a pic of the new joins:

P1070038.jpg

i tried to scrub the beejezuz out of it and will soak in some PBW but i just wondered if we have used the wrong solder? not high enough silver content?

can you see any reason why it would not be wise to pop her in our wort?

(P.S. plumber mate is on holidays so cant ask him!)

any observations, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers.......

the bottom pic is brazing (silver solder / oxy mapp heat) the top pic (looks like) soft solder with propane heated

the brazed joints can be polished with some very fine sand paper or some polish but it wont look like the top pic

but you could just leave it if it's smooth

As Michael said, the bottom pic looks braised. It's will be a good strong join, and if you feel the need a quick hit with emery to clean it up.

the bottom pic is brazing (silver solder / oxy mapp heat) the top pic (looks like) soft solder with propane heated

the brazed joints can be polished with some very fine sand paper or some polish but it wont look like the top pic

but you could just leave it if it's smooth

Nothing more, spot on.

AS3500 states the no less than 2% lead free solder on potable water.

Latest posts

Back