Advice on my Real Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregMeady

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Still a newbie, although I have quite a few brews under my belt using Coopers Real Ale / BE2 & US-05 with great results.

I have been doing reading on here using saison yeast but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. Most here I noticed in the other threads about Saison yeast the choices seem to be with paler beers.

QUESTION: Because of Toowoomba weather heating up now, am I able to stick to the Coopers Real Ale & just swap the US-05 yeast for M29 Saison yeast? - or am I better to change to something Pale Ale?

I only have access to Coopers Tins at my woolies. So choices are limited.

Thanks in advance :)

Do you like Saison? The yeast can be used in any beer of any color really. No rules apply etc that's my moto.
There is guidelines and tradition but anything goes really. It works for you or it doesn't. It will be completely different than what US-05 gives. Basic reference for flavour of Saison yeast is Grapefruit. It could make your beer into something of a Belgian style.

Do you like Saison? The yeast can be used in any beer of any color really. No rules apply etc that's my moto.
There is guidelines and tradition but anything goes really. It works for you or it doesn't. It will be completely different than what US-05 gives. Basic reference for flavour of Saison yeast is Grapefruit.
I have never tried it to be honest. But is really because of temperature as this time of year it is virtually impossible to keep it to US-05 temps required. I had stopped brewing for the year but stumbled on a few threads about saison yeast being able to be brewed at higher temps. So that was the main reason.

I have never tried it to be honest. But is really because of temperature as this time of year it is virtually impossible to keep it to US-05 temps required. I had stopped brewing for the year but stumbled on a few threads about saison yeast being able to be brewed at higher temps. So that was the main reason.
my 05 is going just swank in Melbourne thank you very much... Towoomba...:p

Sensible thinking. Wheat Beer yeasts can go higher too if you wanted to try Wheatbeer. Take M20 rated to 30c eg.

Back