Advice On Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elollerenshaw

Reaction score
I am attempting a lager using a kit/extract method and was hoping for some advice on;

How long and at what temp to cold condition (crash?) in the fermenter after primary fermentation is complete?

Then after bottling, what is the ideal time and temp to leave it for?

And finally, is a dry lager yeast adequate to make a quality lager, or should you really go for a liquid yeast?

Cold condition as low as you can, 0c if you can get there, depends on your fridge/cooling setup,
leave it for 2 weeks before bottling.
Keep your bottles cold for 6-8 weeks then allow to come up to warmer temps to carb up for about 2-3 weeks, then
back to the fridge for a week before drinking.
If you can stick your bottles in the fridge from day dot....then carb up and re fridge....clean, crisp, yum...

Nothing wrong with dry lager yeast if you ferment at the right temps, Im a big fan of both S-189 and 34/70.

Just remeber that kits will take about 3 months to start reaching their best and get better up to about 6 months if stored correctly.

First of all there is a lot of info on this subject and some searching and reading will give you heaps of good info.

Just some basics.
Temperature: You'll need a method of good temperature control during fermentation. Need to keep the ferment low, say 9 to 10 Deg.C.
Yeast: At these temperatures you'll need more yeast than one dry or liquid yeast. Both will do the job. Search for creating a yeast starter. you'll need a good solid starter. Forget pitching 2 packs, it will cost you bucks and you need more yeast than that. Sorry mate I don't have a link, but you will find it here with a search
Fermentation should take 2 to 3 weeks. Depends on various factors and could be longer. Many lager brewers do a Diacetyl rest towards the end of ferment. Consider this, again search it.
Cold crash after ferment, well it's a lager so the longer the better, it should be lagered for weeks and some do so for months, On the bottles, I only keg, so if your going to bottle I am not sure how long you can leave it and still have some viable yeast to allow carbonation of the bottles? Maybe someone else can suggest that?

Fear.

I am not sure how long you can leave it and still have some viable yeast to allow carbonation of the bottles? Maybe someone else can suggest that?
I believe the answer is indefinitely. They'll just take longer to carbonate. Assuming you're not going to micro filter or pasteurise.

I've racked, gelatined and polyclared and lagered for six weeks and still had good carbonation inside four weeks.

A bigger problem for me was being able to make a good quality lager from a kit. I never did solve that one.

I believe the answer is indefinitely. They'll just take longer to carbonate. Assuming you're not going to micro filter or pasteurise.

I've racked, gelatined and polyclared and lagered for six weeks and still had good carbonation inside four weeks.

A bigger problem for me was being able to make a good quality lager from a kit. I never did solve that one.

Thanks for all the advice, more help than my local home brew store!

So would I be better trying a full extract brew, than a kit with enhancements (i.e. extra malt/hops)?

Hey guys just quick question regarding lagering.

I just did my first Lager partial and it has finished fermenting etc and I want to cold crash.

Now i am going to bottle so is there a maximum time I can cold crash etc before there isn't any viable yeast for carbonation?

Also I managed to put a fair bit of trub into my primary so would racking it into a secondary be a good idea before cold crashing?

Cheers

Thats exactly how i do my coppers lager yum beer, best tasting beer ive ever had and shyts over some full grains ive tasted!. Like you say, very crisp and clean tasting, almost bubbly texture!.

Hi

Recently did my first lager too, I found this post useful on driving the fermentation....details in the second post... it worked a charm..... i did lager though for 4 weeks and you need to add fresh yeast about 1/3 of a packet.....

Lager Fermentation

Back