Advice on first PM brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsyrax

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hey All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Been a member of HBT for a little while but thought I’d sign up to the local forum king.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ll be doing my first partial mash this weekend and just wanted to get anyone’s critique, thoughts or comments on the recipe I’ve crafted up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ll have capacity to mash about 2.8kg worth of grain and will be doing a BIAB style mash. I’m after a ‘Summer Ale’ recipe and have borrowed a few ideas from recipes I’ve read online including using some orange peel and coriander seeds… here’s what’s in my brewing app:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Mash[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.5 Kg Wheat [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 Kg Gold Promise (or possibly just plain 2row)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]300g flaked rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Others[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.5 kg Light LME[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Amarillo[/SIZE] – 10g @ 60 min
[SIZE=medium]Amarillo[/SIZE] – 10g @ 30 mins
[SIZE=medium]Amarillo[/SIZE] – 5g (cause I’ll have a 25g pack so why not) @ flame out

[SIZE=medium]2sp Crushed coriander seeds @ 5 min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]~20 grams Orange peel/zest[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]½ tablet Irish moss @ 10 min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So this is coming out at 1.046 OG with 17.6 IBU and a FG of 1.011 with an efficiency rating of 65%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Anything majorly wrong with the plan? I’m looking to get just a slight hint of the orange/coriander mix and I’ll be using sweet oranges not bitter as I’m trying to keep the bitterness down on this batch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Cheers![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]-Phil-[/SIZE]

what yeast are you considering ?

I have limited choices at my LHBS, mainly the Safale range.

Was planning on US-05.

Will that be an issue with the wheat? It's only 35% of the total weight

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

pjsyrax said:
I have limited choices at my LHBS, mainly the Safale range. Was planning on US-05. Will that be an issue with the wheat? It's only 35% of the total weight Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app
no that'll be fine,

seems fine to me. Give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Should be an interesting result, coriander and orange peel are normally used for Belgian Witbier styles, with 'noble' hops (Hallertau, Hersbrucker etc) for bittering, with little/no late hopping. And a witbier style yeast is essential for authenticity. Putting those flavours into an American Pale Ale recipe, with a neutral pale ale yeast, will make something pretty unique. Would love to hear back once you've cracked your first bottle?

Well I'm all for interesting...will see if ingredients are all available and see how things go on the day.

I've no clue what the coriander is supposed to impart but always see it used in with the orange so thought I'd leave them together.

Maybe I'll even drop the herb and perhaps add some vanilla at bottling or in a secondary......

Ever had a Hoegaarden? That'll show you what coriander and orange impart, although the yeast plays a big part in the flavour profile too.

Not enough to remember what it tasted like...or at least not recently enough to have taken the time to notice :rolleyes:

FWIW to anyone who reads this, I decided to drop the coriander and use a small amount of ginger. So it's now a Summer Ale with a hint of ginger and orange.

LHBS was also out of Amarillo so I substituted in cascade at 30 min and flame out and used some PoR for bittering.

Ibu was still the same and it's in ther fermenter bubbling away.

Will let u know how it turns out

Back