Advice on buying a welder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facebook: baby spam
Predominantly male interest forum: welding spam

I'll take the latter thanks

Firefly-Bicycles-Factory-Tour-welds02.jpg

From http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/13/factory-tour-firefly-bicycles-custom-titanium-stainless-steel-bikes/

I kind of regret getting out of welding, I was getting pretty decent doing a fair amount at work, but was over being treated like scum by management :/
Might get back into it as a little side business now I've picked up some of my machining gear from my parents (and once I've done some practice to get back into it)

This guy knows his shit inside out and back to front. Some great pointers on gear and techniques his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e72M1DGBTw8

Unlike this guy who, obviously needs brush up on the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7_L_S9TOPM

Dave70 said:
This guy knows his shit inside out and back to front. Some great pointers on gear and techniques his channel.

Unlike this guy who, obviously needs brush up on the basics.

That looks dangerous he should at least wear a hard hat

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
grott said:
Why is he wearing clothes, could get burn holes or catch on fire.
Thats right. Flammable materials should only ever be worn on the face whilst welding.

e9a80073fdfaa7feec1dc41b063fe027.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
What did it cost Sean, and what does it say in the Chinese symbols.

The trick to getting (as good as possible weld) with a mig on aluminium, don't over tighten the rollers have a size bigger liner, and try to keep the torch lead straight.
Can’t remember how much it cost at the time but I think that one is about HK$300 or AU$50 these days. They vary in price depending on size of the coil.

The Chinese characters say “slow” on the left of the pic and fast on the right side. If you can see in the picture there are exposed copper loops along the top coil, (earth is connected to the single loop on the bottom coil) if you connect the electrode holder to the far left “slow” loop that is the lowest setting, the other loops draw progressively more amps along the coil. The last “fast” loop is the highest setting for that coil. If you need to go higher or lower you need a bigger or smaller coil.

[SIZE=11pt]I had a large industrial fully adjustable coil but it was mislaid somewhere in the new territories. The small ones are handy if you need to carry them around on public transport in the city. Especially if you’re stopping off at a bar or two after work.[/SIZE]

S.E said:
[SIZE=11pt]The small ones are handy if you need to carry them around on public transport in the city. Especially if you’re stopping off at a bar or two after work.[/SIZE]
Is that a welder in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

Back