Advice on buying a 50l ss conical fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djar007

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was looking around and found a pretty decent looking 304 stainless fermenter. I can get it delivered from China for $350 . It looks pretty well made and I like the price. I will need to buy ten to get a good price on shipping. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the quality and design of this particular one.
50L drawing.jpgConical fermenter.jpgInside.jpgLid.jpg

What is shipping costing ?
Core brewing sell 55 l stainless ones here in Melb..welds are pretty damn good for Chinese ...
Some in here have had some china import stuff rust when it was supposed SS
Even a retailer in Melb who imports Chinese brewing gear has a lot of problems with genuine quality control...
I'd be concerned that the welds were no good at that price. ...still $350 isn't too bad
F

They quoted me $290 per unit with all the fittings and . Shipping for ten (minimum order) is $400 . Which is a very decent price . But as you say, it is very hard to get a guarantee on the quality. The old saying of too good to be true keeps ringing in my head , but I am very tempted.

You need to do more investigation on the shipping costs. That price would be to ship to Australia. Where it starts getting expensive is getting it off the boat and through customs. There a myriad of charges to get something off a boat and into a warehouse, and then if you can't pick up, it costs more to get it deliver a couple hundred K's than it does to get here from China.
GST and duties also add 15%.

Contact a freight forwarder here in Aus.

edit;
You will need CBM measurement, weight, Port of departure and port of destination to get a quote.

You may want to double check your quotes... this doesn't make sense to me

djar007 said:
I can get it delivered from China for $350 .

djar007 said:
They quoted me $290 per unit with all the fittings and . Shipping for ten (minimum order) is $400 .
do you mean for one they will deliver for $350... but if you buy ten then they are $330ea?

If so, then I wouldn't bother stuffing around with ten just to save $20.

What capacity - looks around 60-70L?
I'm not a stainless grade guru, so I'd like to know if the 304 is suitable for brewing. I've done a quick search and found 316 is preferred as it's more corrosion resistant, but is this just a case of better than, or essential?
I'll be following your progress. Don't think I can jump in on a buy yet, but would love to grab 2 in a year or so at that price.
Looks like a nice simple design

I won't start with do a search ffs Dan2. Just this that beer kegs from breweries are 304 ss. Afaik.
Also, the majority of brewing hardware sold is 304ss.
While 316 is nice, it's a bit of a luxury for large vessels at home, maybe better for high flow rate applications like valves and tubing etc. but generally, 304 will do alright for most things.

On a closing note, if you search (not with one eye closed), you'd find this info on many topics. Cheers.

PS: thinking about it, there might not be a proper article on 316/304 around. Will search later and see if I'm up for researching and writing a short one wrt brewing. Remember something being in htb though.

practicalfool said:
I won't start with do a search ffs Dan2.
I think you did.
If nobody wants to answer a simple question, then nothing lost. But if someone in the know happens to drop by this thread and takes 1 minute of their time to give a simple answer then it's saved me, and maybe others, dragging their eyeballs all over the net.

PS - djar007 - I just took the time to read the title - ignore the capacity question

Hate to say it the weld in that fermenter looks like shit.
I imported a 140L. BE VERY CAREFUL. Cheap aint always the cheapest
Here is an invoice from a freight forwarder in Sydney. This is only to their unpacking facility. I was a very happy customer and will use them again.

img004.jpg

booargy said:
Hate to say it the weld in that fermenter looks like shit.
I imported a 140L. BE VERY CAREFUL. Cheap aint always the cheapest
Here is an invoice from a freight forwarder in Sydney. This is only to their unpacking facility. I was a very happy customer and will use them again.

attachicon.gif
img004.jpg
Have to agree BE CAREFUL before you comitt to more than a single unit.
Nev

Ok thanks guys for the advice everyone.If I was a little vague with the prices I will clarify it now. They will be $290 each. Shipping for one will be $390. Shipping for ten will be $400. The company is http://www.abany.cn . I will look into the customs and freight forwarding costs and get further info from the company when I get back to Melbourne over the weekend. I am only looking to do this as I like the design and I can offer these for whatever I get them for to guys on the forum. I dont need or want to try and do this as a business deal. Thank you for the freight forwarding invoice booargy and the info punkin. That is very helpful. Dan2 , I think the photos are of a larger vessel, but the diagram is of a 50 litre which is what I asked for a quote on, just judging by the straight part of the cylinder. Thanks again for all your help and advice , I will keep you posted on updates.

give you the tip over the past few years at least 2 other people on here have imported fermenters from china in lots of 10. They've have ended up stuck with the stock that they've been trying to sell upto 3 years later.
FWIW if your only looking for 1 or 2 for your self then just buy locally from one of the local suppliers. You'll probably end up in front financially in the long run any way. Plus you have someone whos door you can knock on if something isnt right. Same cant be said about some factory in china.

Komodo said:
give you the tip over the past few years at least 2 other people on here have imported fermenters from china in lots of 10. They've have ended up stuck with the stock that they've been trying to sell upto 3 years later.
FWIW if your only looking for 1 or 2 for your self then just buy locally from one of the local suppliers. You'll probably end up in front financially in the long run any way. Plus you have someone whos door you can knock on if something isnt right. Same cant be said about some factory in china.
Ok. Cheers for that. I just cant justify spending $1000 for one at the moment. But I agree that it may end up costing a lot more. I will still make a few more enquiries and see how I go. At least with the advice I have here it is with open eyes that I move forward.

Back