Advice on Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicstars

Reaction score
Hi Guys, not sure if it is allowed... but Rob is off the grid and mild panic setting in over here and hoping someone has some insights:

Made a Belgian Blonde Sunday. Everything was going OK with fermenting, but because it was hot, the temperature of the beer was pretty high rolling onto 26 degrees. So I put the fermenter in some water and ice brought the temperature back down to 18. I think I may have done it too quickly and killed the yeast. Its back 20, but nothing seems to be happening this morning (yeast was supposed to have range of 18-25)

Any tips?

TA DA!!

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated!! My phone took a swim, that's all.

The quick temperature drop may have stunned the yeast a little, but 20 is a good temp and it should pick up again. If it was going for a while at a vigorous pace there may not be much fermenting left to do.... perhaps let the temp slowly rise over the next few days to help finish it off.

You may get lots of belgian character though :)

Alive! Only 24 hours fermenting, room was stinky but surely that couldn't have been long enough. I guess i could wait and test SG as well?

Likely most of the fermentation is done in 24hours at 26. not an overly bad thing with a belgian yeast.
check SG, its likely 80% done and just chewing the rest up at its own rate.

ramp the temp up a bit and wait

As you say, check the SG and where it is from your OG (and work out apparent attenuation). Out of curiosity, what yeast were you using? I had a temp controller fail on me and a beer I was fermenting spent its first 36 hours at 28 degrees. That was with S33 yeast and it still turned out very drinkable.

Tested OG, was 1.012 and doesn't look like doing much now. Think you probably right, it went hard and fast! Will test again after weekend and see.

Yeast wise, it was a pink packet, think it was T-58. Dave (from Daves home brew) changed yeast from receipe to help as don't have fridge.

you need to build up your supply line.
Although I am still holding myself back from trying my trippel I bottled a month ago... oh, and the saison from 3 weeks ago... ooohhh the biere de garde is tasting awesome in the fermenter (I think there may be about 3l missing from hydro samples)
darn you, i am going to have to put a trippel in the fridge when i get home now.

Latest posts

Back